Saturday, September 12, 2020

Master bathroom updates

I finally got tired of having all of our "stuff" on the small little bathroom countertop, so I bought a couple of shelves where we can organize just a little bit.  Well, technically I really wanted to get a double sink in here, but that is never going to get Bobby's approval as it would be quite the project! We might as well gut the entire bathroom if we did that. LOL!!!

Anyway, I digress.  Back to the shelves :-)  The new shelves were not going to fit unless I moved the mirror up.  It never is easy, is it??? Okay, mirror is down for the time being.  I had to move set a couple of new anchors and screws about just a couple of inches higher to accommodate the shelves:

Ta da!  Hmm... didn't seem like it took that long.  Ha ha!  The shelves were easy enough to put on thankfully. I did have to clean up the countertop and also dust off all of our toiletries and the floor. Sheesh! There is never a quick project, is there? But I'm happy with the results:
Here's a closer look at the shelf, but also a closer looks at all my lotions. Yikes, how many do I really need! I have about 4 day lotions - 3 with sunscreen and 1 without sunscreen and then 2 different night creams too. And a face cleanser.  There's actually another one in the cabinet.  Ha!
Here's the marbled soap that Charlie made for us.  I just didn't have the heart to use it, so I've put it on another shelf in the bathroom:
Yes, that's a real plant to the right - sort of like a succulent.  I think it's gone through a lot in the yard, so I thought I'd bring it inside.  It almost looks like a coral! So I'm going with the "ocean" theme here since we already have the turtle.  I have a sea-urchin for an essential oil diffuser, although it ended up turning a bit brown because I used the wrong oil base.  Oops! And I found a big shell to put Charlie's soap.  Love it!
So, that was last weekend's project.  This weekend I decided to finally hang the pendant light in the master bathroom.  And as if you didn't hear enough of it already, it was another neighborhood App purchase.  I bought it months ago (maybe even before Covid lockdown) and I had also bought the conversion kit as I have to hang it from a recessed light:
I probably should have cleared up the countertop first but nah, that would just make life too easy.  I did put a paper towel inside the sink to cover up the drain so that way I wouldn't lose any important screws :-)
It took me forever just to pull the recessed can out!  I finally had to just hank it out and thankfully did not damage the ceiling.  The internet videos definitely did not help there:
The mounting kit was trickier than what was shown on the tutorial.  I had to actually drill pilot holes into the recessed area before I could finally secure the mounting kit.  And then, the chain of the light was too long, so that took a while too to adjust.  By now I was really sweating as I had to turn the power off and my legs and arms where shaking from working on everything for so long:
Well, I better check to see if this light actually does work before putting it all back together.  And... YES!!!
Mission accomplished!!! Phew!  I actually have another identical pendant light for the boys' bathroom, but yeah... not today.  Definitely want to just enjoy this one just for a bit longer before another "adventure":
I think it was a good purchase despite the labor on installing it.  Ha ha! Come to think of it, it almost looks like the light in our foyer in our home in Broken Arrow (Tulsa), OK!  
And I'm just looking at an old posting (May 21, 2009) about this foyer light and looks like I had an "interesting" experience trying to install it.  Long story short, I ended up having to call a random electrician and he ended up giving me some advise over the phone to finally get it all sorted out.  What a nice guy!

Ta da!!! The master bathroom is coming along nicely.  I can't wait for my wallpaper to arrive.  Bobby is going to be in for a surprise.  Ha ha!!!
And oh, Bobby snapped a photo of me while I was "working":
Bobby was actually out grocery shopping when I started working on this project.  And by the time he got home, I was still at it! And the first thing he asked the boys when he walked in through the front door was "Is your Mother on the floor???"  Ha! Well, I actually almost did fall over while I had one foot on the countertop and one other foot on the stool (which you can't see in the photo).  But I somehow managed to recover.  Phew!

Both Graham and Charlie love the new light pendant and they are actually excited that there will be one in their bathroom too! :-)

No comments: