Sunday, June 28, 2020

Veggie garden update

My latest thing now is to grow our own potatoes!
I'm using store-bought potatoes and basically just letting them sit in the dark for a bit until the "eyes" start to sprout.  I'm growing the potatoes in these special bags with flaps on the side so when it comes to digging up the potatoes I don't have to dump out the entire bag.

I found some worms in the garden and threw those into the bag for good measure.  Hopefully they will help out as I had to bury the potatoes with more soil and then I threw some leaves/compost on top:
In the meantime, our zucchini plant is doing really well!
The cucumber plant, on the other hand, has only give us one cucumber.  It took me a while to pick it so it ended up turning yellow.  It still wasn't too bad.  I think we are suppose to pickle with these cucumbers.  I might transplant this one into the ground instead of a pot - maybe it will do better:
We opened up an avocado that was in the fridge and looks like it is starting to take root??!
I put it in some water but so far it doesn't seem to be growing anymore.  Hmmmm....

We have lots of tomatoes though.  YUM!!!
I tried to plant more corn and edamame but so far nothing has sprouted.  So weird!  Maybe time to move to some different vegetables.  What else can we grow??? :-)

No comments: