Friday, June 5, 2020

Fixing up the trampoline

Hopefully this will be it for now with the trampoline.  The new net arrived last week and then a couple of the new metal poles arrived yesterday.  Yay!!!  I didn't realize how bad our trampoline netting actually looked:
Check at all the stitching that had to be done to keep the net together.  LOL!!!
Okay, maybe not so funny because Graham did end up falling out of the trampoline a few weeks ago.  Ouch..! Poor fella.  But weirdly enough, no bruise - even after hitting his lower back on the pavers on the ground!

The easiest way to remove the old net was to just cut it off from the spring.  No turning back now!
Charlie is my little helper today:
I couldn't figure out why I could not take off this screw/bolt at the top of one of the poles.  So down it comes:
The cap was broken.  Nothing superglue and a rubber band can't fix.  Ha ha!
These instructions seem confusing!
There are a total of 8 ropes and somehow they are not long enough in total length to cover the entire trampoline??!  I'm obviously not doing something right.  Hmmm.....
I'm glad the weather was nice and gloomy so at least I wasn't baking in the sun all afternoon.  I had to take a break by the end of yesterday and come back to it today as I still couldn't figure out how to secure the bottom of the net to the frame.  It was probably a good thing while I waited because the new poles showed up!  Look how bad these are.  I like how the previous owner had tried to repair one of them.  And somehow the poles managed to survive the boys too.  Ha ha!
The new metal poles were not cheap but look, nice and straight and shiny! And I thought I was getting both the bottom half and the top half for the price.  It was just the bottom halves!  Luckily, those were the only ones we needed:
Well, the old poles have a new purpose now - to keep the corn plants from falling over when it's too windy around here!
Look how great the trampoline looks now!  And Graham and Charlie says it feels bigger??! Maybe because the poles are not slanting into the trampoline area now.  Ha ha!  And by the way, so glad I didn't bump my head on those overhanging wires when I was on the ladder.  
Perhaps it was the right move to replace just the netting and poles and not buying an entire new trampoline.  I was trying to tug on the springs to remove the netting and it would not even budge.  I can only imagine how painful my fingers will be by the end of that ordeal!

And one last thing for the trampoline - a little heart on the mat:
It's actually bright green duct tape that I cut into the shape to patch up a little tear on the mat.  Yay for a safer trampoline!!!  Wait,.. there are still those gaps where there wasn't enough rope to connect the bottom of the netting to the frame.  The boys are too big to squeeze through those gaps.  Right??!

No comments: