Friday, June 19, 2020

Mom's 13th anniversary

Today is my mom's anniversary since her passing 13 years ago.  My dad sent this photo to me yesterday - it was during his graduation ball and dinner from University in New Zealand back in 1971:
 My mom was only 21 in that photo - pretty as ever.  I was making fun of my dad's tie :-)

I'm not exactly sure when this photo below was taken but this is my mom with one of her brothers.  Uncle Tony is the one that came by to visit us last Thanksgiving.  I'm guessing this was taken in the mid 80s as perms were popular then:
My mom has perfectly straight hair, just like what I have.  And I remembered she tried to perm my hair once and... Poof!!! My hair came out super super frizzy and curly!!!  I still have a photo of that somewhere.  I think I was around 12 years old or so.  And then nevermind that, I still had to go to school the next day!  I remembered trying to brush my hair straight over and over again and of course, that didn't work.  It was quite the ordeal and anxiety I will never forget.  Ha ha!

Love my mom for what she has made me (minus the perm).  Missing her lots.  By the way, speaking of hair, I will be donating mine again very soon.  I had donated 5 other times now - all to the charity Pantene Beautiful Lengths.  Looks like the organization had dissolved back in 2018.  So this year, I have decided to donate to Children with Hair Loss.  It is a non-profit organization that provides human hair replacements at no cost to children and young adults facing medically-related hair loss. to donate to this charity, they need at least 8" and will also take grey or colored hair.  Not like mine is grey or colored, but I guess they will have to just skip my white ones.  Ha ha!
Stay tuned for that story later next month!  I was hoping to get the school more involved in this but unfortunately, no one has stepped up.  Oh well, now I am tempted to get the community involved.  We'll see :-)

No comments: