Thursday, June 18, 2020

Backyard beautification project

I think this is what I'm going to call this - a beautification project.  But first, going to grab the last bit of our corn.  This 2nd harvest wasn't as good as the first batch, but still better than having to buy them in the store:
It's too bad that corn plants are one and done. So into the green bin they go.  No, I didn't make use of any of the husk for tamale.  Maybe another time :-P
Back to a blank slate, other than all those green onions.  I did push in a peach pit and some sweet pepper seeds into the dirt.  Also started a new batch of corn plants.  Just have to wait and see now:
Actually, come to think of it, I haven't taken "Pancake" out of the fridge for a while.  Might have to do that soon for some scallion pancakes!  I hope the starter yeast did not die on me yet.

I transplanted these plants (no idea what they are called).  They are so pretty when they have those purple flowers blooming but then once the flowers die off, they start looking pretty scraggly!  I'm hoping this spot will get more watering from the sprinkler:
Another scraggly plant over on this side of the yard.  I'm hoping at least one of these will survive!
I would have taken this plant out too but this pretty flower showed up, bloomed, and totally saved it!  I didn't even know these green foliage had such pretty flowers!  These were planted by the previous homeowners:
Look at this flower too from these aloes.  So pretty too!!!
Unlike this aloe plant here.  Hmm... I think it is just not getting enough water.  But isn't it suppose to be a dessert plant? So shouldn't it survive in really dry conditions???
Mulch, mulch, and more mulch! 
Can never seem to buy enough mulch.  See what I mean?
Graham and I also went on a little splurge at the local improvement store/garden to buy a few more plants for the backyard:
Actually those plants above are mine :-)  This one is Graham's:
And Graham bought a yellow one for Charlie.  So sweet!  The boys put them into the new pots all by themselves and didn't make too much of a mess!  
Those daisies really do light up the yard.  I just hope they remember to water them!
And after seeing this sad part of the flower bed every single day for the past 1.5 years now, I finally decided to take some of the rose bushes out:
I replanted 2 rose bushes towards the back wall:
This photo is a bit blurry but hopefully in a few weeks (or months??!) when these recover from replanting, they will bloom nicely.  Fingers crossed!
I also replanted some other rose bushes with really long stems on this garden arbor.  Not sure if it will take as the roses are in pots.  I won't know unless I try!
The next day, I told the boys to help me arrange the new flowers in the flower bed:
It was funny as once they were done, they were back at their computer games!  Aiyo....!!! as an Asian person would say, as in... Oh my gosh!!! or Geez!!!

Looking better already!
More mulch!
It will probably take a while for all the plants to mature but hopefully it will look just as pretty as the front yard.  I think I do need to get some ground cover instead of all that mulch.  Oh well, one thing at a time. 

I did finally get a hanging basket.  I'm hoping the Lantana plant will get big enough for it to fall over the planter:
We've been seeing a hummingbird around the backyard so I'm hoping the Lantana will attract it.  I might have to hang the planter a bit higher eventually.  Can't wait for this hummingbird to show up!!!

No comments: