Monday, May 25, 2020

Recent baking

Lots of people have been baking bread.  I've yet to actually bake any sourdough bread using my starter yeast.  The instructions just seem to complicated and it seems to take all day!  So, I've been doing a lot of pies, cakes, and muffins.

First off, an orange cake.  I really love this cake because you practically use the entire orange in this recipe.  Yup, you heard right.  You basically puree an entire orange and dump it into the batter.  Lots of lovely roughage which the boys need and no complaining about eating it.  Win-win!
I forgot to take a before photo so this was what was left after going through it in one afternoon. Ha!

And Bobby ended up buying a 2 lb bucket of blueberries from Costco!  So... what else but to make blueberry pie.  I didn't have any pie crust so I had to make my own crust. I couldn't find my personal one that I thought I had in my recipe book.  So after searching online for a simple one, here it is!
The top crust was a bit think but thankfully it baked up nicely.  And I forgot to put the butter inside the pie so I tried to squeeze it in between the seams of the lattice work.  I really don't remember what the butter is for.  So, what is the butter for??? And technically I was suppose to refrigerate the dough before rolling.  No time for that! And I'm not sure if it would have made that much of a difference,... I thought it turned out great! :-)
The boys definitely loved it!  I have to make a vegan version one day.  Bobby has been falling off his wagon quite a bit these last few weeks:
And making a banana cheesecake pie definitely didn't help either.  My order of Graham Crackers didn't come through in the grocery pickup list, but I found a box of glazed ginger snap cookies.  Worked out as a great substitute for the crust:
 I did burn the pie a little bit but none of it went to waste :-)

And last but not least, this was last week's find.  I was going through a box in the garage and found some old recipes from Abu Dhabi.  I had the word "Yum" next to this recipe and yup, this Apple Cinnamon muffin did not disappoint!
Not sure what else I'm going to try this week.  Bobby's birthday is coming up on Saturday.  I better think of something quick... and vegan! :-P

No comments: