Sunday, May 24, 2020

First new digital Piano

Well, it's not technically new but definitely our first real digital or electronic piano - where the 88 keys are weighted just like a regular piano would be.  And with the keys being weighted, you can therefore also play your notes loud or soft depending on how firm or lightly you hit the keys.  It's amazing how this technology all works!

Well, we weren't going to see the keyboard until later this weekend but the seller mentioned that there were other parties interested.  So I pretty much jumped on the opportunity to see it right away on Friday early afternoon.  Wow, the car has cobwebs on it!
I took Charlie with me since he is the one taking piano lessons right now and is needing this new piano (at least I think so and Bobby feels otherwise :-P)  Every time Charlie's teacher asks him to play with more dynamics, Charlie is not able to play his music piece louder or softer unless maybe by turning the volume of the keyboard up or down.  And no pedal either with his old simple keyboard.  Well, no more excuses now!  We went to see the keyboard with our masks on our faces and gloves on.  5-10 minutes later, the keyboard was plopped into our minivan.  Yay!!!
I tried to negotiate the price down from $240 but the guy said that they were trying to raise money for a person with cancer.  I hope he is not lying about that and using it as some sort of excuse.  In any case, I think it was a good buy.  This Casio CDP-235R has all the bells and whistles the boys could ask for... like 700 different music instrument tones!  Are there really even that many music instruments in the world??  Well, there was another digital keyboard for sale that we had missed out on a few weeks ago and that was $400. So I'm convince this was a good deal for us :-)

Well, someone seems really happy!  And I am happy that this keyboard has a small slim profile so I can still keep it in the same location where the old keyboard was previously at.  Charlie seems to look so grown up here, sitting on his antique piano stool:
I did have to move this thing of toy bins away.  Or... I suppose I could take the legs off the digital keyboard and put just the keyboard on this rack like I did previously the old keyboard.  Hmmm...
Also had to move this wheely 3-tier shelf away.  I better start clearing up some things in this house!
The mess around us doesn't seem to bother Graham and Charlie at all. They are pretty much oblivious to everything especially when they are playing on their tablets:
All is all, it was a good day! Graham's birthday was today and we also bought a new keyboard!  I've been playing a bit more piano lately too.  Graham's new violin Book #2 that we had purchased recently has piano accompaniment pieces that go with it.  So Graham and I have been trying to play duets.  I better cherish these moments!

I am still tempted to buy a real piano though.  Somehow there is just a nostalgic feeling of having a real piano.  Call me old fashion! But if it's any consolation, you definitely can't just put a real piano into the back of a minivan. Digital keyboards are definitely money savers in that sense and there is no need for any forever tuning either.  Okay, okay, I will stop thinking about a real piano now.  At least for now :-D

No comments: