Saturday, May 2, 2020

Garden update

We finally got the gardener to trim the hedge along the side of our house.  I had been in touch with our neighbor recently and he sort of mentioned about how tall this hedge is and how they can't see the harbor lights at night.  Oops!
It's so high the gardener has to use a ladder!  And then he actually has to go over to the neighbor's side to trim it down.  Good thing we use the same gardener :-)

And the boys decided to help out with clean up.  Not sure if they are actually cleaning or playing:
We finally busted out the outdoor fan.  It is connected to the water hose so it gives out a nice mist :-)
Our extension cord only goes so far.  The fan just about gets that mist and air to the boys' trampoline:
It was so hot last week... it was 88F INSIDE the house even after 8PM!!!
And then, our hose broke!  This is the 2nd one within the last few weeks. I guess we shouldn't leave our hoses out in the sun??! 
Thankfully it broke towards the one end so I was able to just cut it off and reattach the end bits back together.

The gardener also put a fence along the side of the house.  Our neighbor had commissioned this job so hopefully the raccoons and skunks will stay out!
I decided to clear up some of the (who knows how old) fallen leaves and trim some more wiry twigs.  Looks better! But I couldn't stop sneezing after.  I probably should use one of our made-up mask while I'm doing this.  We started putting coffee filters too in between these masks.  Who knows what sort of fungi I kicked up while clearing the ground cover in here:
In the meantime, no matter how many of these I pull out, the poppies keep coming back up.  I guess I should just leave them. They are pretty now but it's only when the flowers die out, they look so messy!
Look at the celery growing!  I still don't believe how this celery stalk is growing - it's just from water??!
I decided to plant the other celery stalk in some soil and see if any roots will grow.  I did put a bowl of water around it since it seems that celery like water!
Graham and Charlie's pumpkin plants are growing nicely!  Just have to figure out where to plant them in the ground:
The corn are growing nicely!
This is the only lone edamame that is surviving right now:
I can't believe it, but these roly pollies are eating up my edamame!!! And they would eat right at the stem so all the other edamame plants are dying:
Well, this one is completely gone other than the one little twig of a stem.  Noooo...!!!
This is what a roly poly looks like.  Or pill bug is the other name from what I've read on the internet:
They are not very big in actual size but by the numbers, they can sure make some damage!!!

Hopefully they won't get to our zucchini plant.  I need to get this in the ground soon too.  Hopefully it can use the trellis where the grapes were to climb:
I told Charlie to cut up some spring onions for me yesterday and he came back with maybe 10 little cut up pieces. Ha ha! Too cute! I was wondering what took him too long.  And then I told him to go back out and just cut a few stalks of it and then, he came back with a whole bunch of it.  He had cut them all off!  Silly kid!!!
 
I've spared this rose bush from my severe trimmings and look how pretty these pink roses are!
 
I did spot some white fungus but maybe it will just die out with the sun??!

No comments: