Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Dead butterfly :-(

I spotted this little guy on our side wall last week.  It was really weird because I saw it just as I got out of the car and the boys totally missed it. The butterfly was sort of tucked underneath some of our flowers and unfortunately, the poor thing was dying :-(

Looks like there are a couple of holes in its wings.  I wonder what happened:
I was originally thinking about pinning it but that just seems cruel now:
A friend suggested laminating it into a bookmark, but it's sort of bulky and I don't want to squish its abdomen,... so maybe I might put it in resin instead.  I've already ordered some resin so let's see if I change my mind when it arrives.  I'm thinking something like a paperweight might be nice?

But hey, look! Another random Monarch caterpillar in the front yard!  
I was going to put it into our butterfly cage, but then look what else I found??! A broken chrysalis!
And this butterfly emerged not too far from the milkweed, so I think I will just leave this caterpillar to Mother Nature.  This chrysalis was tucked in nicely among all the twiggy flowers. Although now it makes me wonder if this dead butterfly was the one that emerged from this chrysalis?  Did its wings get tangled within the plant's twigs? Seems like a possibility. Or did it get into a fight with a bird?! I guess we will never know :-/

No comments: