Saturday, July 11, 2020

New compost bin

I finally convinced Bobby to buy me a compost bin.  Who knew it would be so exciting to compost.  Ha ha!
Well, the boys (especially Graham) was super excited to put it together.  I was actually ready to call it a night after fixing up some things in the backyard.
As usual, getting more of the edging in and more mulch.  It was actually a good thing I dug up some of that dirt to put our first milkweed plant in the ground.  Look at all the worms I found for our compost bin!
The backyard is starting to come together! I like the combination of pea gravel and mulch. And I also bought some more lighting so the garden is looking quite pretty at night too. And oh, the potato plant in the green bag is coming along really well too:
Looking much better :-)  And oh, the plant to the right in the photo below is the zucchini plant.  It's jurassic size!
Nothing like having to pay the price for being in the backyard in the evening.  That's 6... yes, SIX mosquito bites on my leg and that's only my left leg!  There were another 3 or 4 more bites on my right leg and one bit each on my arm right where my long gloves ended.  Whoever said that mosquitoes only bite once is a total liar!!!
So... here we go - putting the compost bin together.  I'm already feeling tired looking at this, but the boys were persistent:
After screwing in what felt like a hundred nuts and bolts, we are done!  Graham and Charlie were troopers helping me put this together:
Now, let's see if we can make some compost - dirt, newspaper, some dead grass, a big handful of green chives (since we have too much of it growing), what else... oh, can't forget our worms.  Add some water and turn the bin a few times:
I found the perfect spot for the compost bin in the yard.  It's suppose to be rodent proof.  So far, so good:
And so far, I've added some pineapple skin, egg shells, tomatoes,... more dirt, more water.  I wonder how long it takes before everything starts composting.   Hmm... after reading a couple of articles online, looks like it will take at least a few weeks and looks like I may be adding too much water.  And oh, those earthworms aren't really the right worms to be put in the compost bin.  Oops!  Suppose to put in "red wigglers".  Not sure if that's what I had. Oh well... guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.  See, isn't this exciting??!! :-D

No comments: