Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Broken violin string and bow

What are the odds that Graham breaks a string on the violin and then while I am putting the violin and bow away, I accidentally drop the bow and break that... all within an hour of each other??!  NOOOOoooo...!!!
And of course, we are totally out of A strings to replace.  It's weird that the A string seems to be the one that Graham always breaks!  And I don't know how I managed to break the bow.  I must have dropped it right on a weak spot - right at the very tip and SNAP! I hope I don't have to wait until Christmas to get another new violin bow :-(

This violin is actually the larger one that I had purchased used quite a few months ago.  I had re-strung all the strings so it's strange that the string broke.  So Graham is back to practicing on his 1/2 size violin.  I haven't purchased the next size up for him yet - the 3/4 size as this one is the 4/4 or full size.  I suppose I could just get another cheapy one online but I just feel he needs something a little bit nicer/with a better tone. I can't believe it's been almost a year now since he started learning the violin.  And he is doing much better now especially with this rhythm:
As you can see, I have some numbers written down in red ink to help him count.  Like 1, 2+ (and) 3 (and) 4... but that didn't seem to work for Graham.  Then, we decided to look up some online videos and I came across this instructor that used words to help with each type of note.  So we have words like Pop, and So-da, and Pineap-ple, Mis-si-si-pi, you name it, we were making up all sort of words to help out with tempo and rhythm!  And as crazy as it sounds, it really did work for Graham.  Who knew I would be going into some unconventional way to teach music. Life is surely full of surprises :-)

No comments: