Tuesday, March 17, 2020

"Grilling" a cake?

As crazy as it sounds, that's exactly what I had to do last week!  Our electricity went out just as I had put the Pound Cake into the oven.  It has probably only baked for about 10 minutes and I still had over an hour to go (at 325F).  It was a cake for our neighbor since she was so kind to give us some of her chicken's eggs.  Did I post about that yet? Check out the colors!!!  I have never seen eggs like these before:
And yup, eggs look normal despite the funny blue color :-)
Sooo... this is what eventually happened when the power didn't come back on 30 minutes later after baking putting my cake in the oven!
A friend did sort of suggest it as well so I went for it!  Thank goodness I managed to find my thermometer.  I was really tricky trying to get the right temperature though.  I eventually put it on the top shelf in the grill rather than on the grill itself. I also kept having to move the pan around to a different spot in the grill when it got too hot or just left the cover open for a bit.  Phew!
Bobby obviously insisted that Graham take a photo of  Mommy in her "MacGyver" mode.  Ha ha!
The cake was done in about 30 minutes!  I poked it several times to be sure:
I couldn't believe it was done in such a short amount of time! And since I wanted to give it to the neighbors, I had to be triple sure it was baked all the way through - so I just cut into it:
We delivered the cake and her boy and his friends said it was yummy! Success!!!

The power didn't come on until early in the morning (since 4:45pm) so I was a good thing I put the cake on the grill!  In the meantime, we did go out for dinner at a Mexican restaurant that we had not tried before.  Unfortunately, the food was just so-so.  We had higher hopes when this dessert came out:
But the churros were undercooked!  Boooooo... Looks like we won't be going back to that restaurant!

Can't remember the last time I had to use a candle in the house when there was no electricity.  I bought them to use on the patio outside but since it's been so cold, we haven't used our big dining table outside.  It's amazing how these candles don't even leak wax along the sides anymore!
And as you can see, I also cleared out anything near the candle so we don't burn the house down. Ha ha! Okay... maybe not so funny if a bad accident did happen!

Let's see what else life throws at me after grilling this cake.  Bring it! :-)

No comments: