Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Art project at home

This is Week #2 of homeschooling.  I'm glad Charlie has not been too overwhelmed with school work unlike Graham.  Somehow he has so much to do!  It still makes me wonder if the teacher does actually teach this much in one day.  I'm in Graham's class every other week (prior to the school shutdown) and I really don't remember them learning so much in a day!

Anyway, Charlie got bored so I had to come up with something. I was going to teach him to crochet but he is still struggling to hold the yarn and needle correctly.  So I looked up the internet for "yarn projects for kids" and came up with a video to make something - A yarn Octopus :-)

First, wrap yarn over and over again around a book:
Hmm... looks like I skipped a few photos/steps here, but eventually your octopus will look somewhat like this:
Okay, so we crumbled up some paper towels and used that to make his head.  And then, divided all the yarn into 8 sections for the octopus' 8 legs.  Of course Graham had to get into it too and an addition to their octopus family:
By the way, this is Graham after dinner - still catching up with some of his homework.  His class is reading a book called "By the Great Horn Spoon!":
The boys picked out some buttons for eyes and also the nose (does an octopus actually have a nose???):
Red one for Graham and of course blue one for Charlie.  I still wonder how these colors became their favorite colors:
On a side note, Charlie walked out after his showers wearing his onesie with a big hole at the end of his zipper!  Thank goodness for all the new patches that I had just ordered :-)
There are lots of free online projects that are now available due to the Coronovirus outbreak.  We will need to start taking more advantage of them soon!

No comments: