Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Graham's Rube Goldberg machine

Graham's Science project this week is to create a Rube Goldberg machine.  If you haven't heard of Rube Goldberg before (like me), then you are in for a treat!  Reuben Garrett Lucius Goldberg was born in 1883 and died in 1970.  I am actually just finding out that he is not only an engineer and an inventor but also firstly an American cartoonist, sculptor, and author!  Who knew!

Check out this stamp:

Wait,... what??! Forever stamp is now $0.55!!!  When did that happen?  I am trying to think when stamps were $0.32?  Might have been when I first moved here to the USA for college. Ha!  January 1, 1995 was when the 32 cent stamp was introduced.  Wow, I'm good!  And so is the internet :-)

Back to Goldberg, so as you can see in the stamp - Goldberg has basically created a complicated machine to perform a simple task.  I am following the alphabets in the stamp and I think he is trying to just wipe his mouth with a tissue after taking a sip of coffee with a spoon.  But it takes like 14 steps to do that!

Well, Graham's assignment was to come up with a Rube Goldberg machine.  Here goes!
Click on this link:  

Take 3!  Click on this link:  

It took us a little while to figure this out, so it was actually fun for all when it all came together!  It was Graham's idea to include the skateboard.  Rewind back to last week and the original machine that Graham wanted to build was actually to pull a tissue out of its box.  And Charlie's machine was suppose to shut his bedroom door.  Well, that was last week and when I left the boys at home to go to Costco, I came back to them playing on their tablet and no machines!!!  So yesterday, I was determined to get something put together.  And I decided to get the boys outside since I wouldn't mind it so much if they made a mess in the yard.  So super pleased with the outcome. Yay!

We're suppose to make another Rube Goldberg machine today but there's just so much homework still for Graham.  Maybe on Friday instead :-P

No comments: