Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Gnome hat crochet project

I started this project a while ago but was procrastinating on posting it as these were also gifts to some family and friends.  Didn't want to spoil my surprise!  Well, it all started when my mother-in-law suggested kitchen towels for Christmas.  I guess I wanted to "one-up" that so I decided to look up for some ideas on the internet and came across these gnome hat towel holders.  What a great idea! And of course, when I saw it I thought, "I can do that!"  Ha ha!

I ordered everything online - a whole bunch of yarn, towel rings, buttons, towels, and some iron-on patches.  Thank goodness for online instruction! I thought the first one turned out pretty well :-)

I probably could have made the stitches a bit more snug so it doesn't sag so much when the towel is on.  Well, this first attempt is ours to keep so I knew what to do better for the next ones.  I think I love those little gnome noses best :-D
Below is the one for Grandma.  I did end up buying the kitchen towels separately for her as I didn't think the pattern on the iron-on patches worked very well for the color of this gnome's hat:
Although I did put this massive bow on one of her towels.  Plaid on plaid... I think it works!
I decided to make some other patterns for our personal towels.  Ya, I couldn't help it with Hello Kitty.  He he...
I was also didn't like the pattern on another gnome's color hat so I decided to test my skills on embroidery.  I didn't have the typical embroidery thread so I ended up doubling on a regular thread:
I think it turned out okay? Although I think the shape of this bow is just a bit off.  Hmmm...
I think this looks okay once the gnome's hat is on:
And here is my attempt at the letter "H".  I probably would have done a bit more but I had to rush out for an errand and needed to get to the post office too before the holiday madness.  I think simplicity is okay here, or at least that's what I keep telling myself:
I tried to make a flower on this one corner, but it didn't turn out like in the video.  I'll need more practice!
In the end, Charlie wanted me to make one for his teacher too.  Here it is!  The gnome's hat has more of a Halloween color.  Oops!  And he drew out the "ladybug" so I cut it out on the iron-on patch.  Too cute!
I'm glad these gnome's hat are enjoying their new home!  Here is Grandma's:
Here's a bright pink one hanging on my sister's stove:
And this dark blue/black one is at a friend's.  She said "This little guy is bringing me so much joy! I just love him 💗💗💗"
It makes me so happy to hear that everyone is enjoying their holiday gift! I wonder what our project will be for next year??!  Although, I've recently discovered "arm knitting" so looks like there will be another project coming up soon.  Perhaps this is something the boys can help with during the winter holiday.  3 more days before that starts.  I'm so thrilled!!! :-)

No comments: