Tuesday, May 18, 2021

How to save my orchid?

This is my 3rd attempt in saving my orchid plant.  I first had it in a kokedama, and then I figured it was overwatered so I made the kokedama ball smaller.  And then I finally figured out that this particular type of orchid really does need more air, so I scrapped the kokedama idea and decided to put it in the pot.  So, here we go again!

I guess I really should have used my regular clippers to cut off the dead roots, versus using a regular pair of scissors.  Oops!
So many dead roots... I hope this orchid survives:
I don't have a small orchid pot, so maybe I'll wrap it up again but loosely this time.  I also put some bark in there to create some air pockets:
And then just plop it on top of another pot? Maybe this might work.  Hmmm....
A few days later, after some more thinking I decided to cut up strips of air pockets in a used container and put that into another pot instead:
Maybe I am over-thinking this:
But looks like I'm losing a few more roots to root-rot.  Noooo...!
Maybe orchids are just not my thing.  I decided to kokedama another - this time one stem of the Christmas cactus since there are a few to spare:
That didn't take long... Ta da!!!
Maybe someday we'll get flowers again.  Fingers crossed for this Christmas??!
I'll keep y'all posted on the orchid!  50/50 chance or surviving.  Ha ha!

No comments: