Thursday, May 20, 2021

Butterfly in Resin

Remember that dead Monarch butterfly that we found a few weeks ago?  Somehow I had noticed it under some flowers by the front wall when I was getting out of the car.  Anyhow, I finally decided to just put it in resin to preserve it.  I've never worked with resin before, so here goes!

Since we had some color/dye from previous projects, I thought some green color might be nice in the resin:
So, first layer of resin and then put the butterfly in.  The wings are just a bit wide, but we're going to make it fit somehow:
I had Graham and Charlie put a flower each into resin:
Now, pouring in the second layer of resin.  Although I'm not sure if I should have poured it directly on the wings.  Seems like I might have removed the "scales" that creates that vibrant color.  The wings somehow seem more dull now or semi-translucent:
Obviously can't do anything about it now!  But we finally poured 2 more portions of resin and here is it!
I accidentally broke one of the butterfly's antenna so it's a bit off in the resin.  And when we took the resin out of the tupperware/plastic mold, it was a bit sticky along the edges.  But thankfully all of it dried up nicely.  Bobby noticed this butterfly on the bookshelf the other day.  I'm glad he didn't tell us to throw it out :-P

No comments: