Monday, February 1, 2021

Some yard work - Border and Butterflies

The border by the walkway into the backyard has been bothering me for a while now.  I knew when I had put this border up that it wasn't very sturdy.  I was reusing something that I had found in the garden from the previous owners.  I guess that should teach me a lesson about doing something right in the beginning!

As you can see, the brown/older border is pretty flimsy:
I had a really tough time actually cutting this newer black border with a pair of kitchen scissors.  I was even wearing gloves and still nervous!  I guess I am still having flashbacks on my incident with the screwdriver.  Blah! 
I had previously used this black border in the front yard when I was building a new drain.  I had decided to fill the drain back up with dirt over a year ago now so I had taken this border out since then. It looks so much better here now:
I was also looking for a new place perhaps for the caterpillars to build their chrysalis.  I was going to maybe use the boys' old trampoline net, but then I scanned the garden and found Bobby's hammock.  This just might work?
As long as the boys don't lay on it!  Here is Charlie happily eating his lunch on the blue hanging chair next:
Speaking of eating, I couldn't help but take photos of this hungry caterpillar.  It was happily chomping on the milkweed flower.  It's so cute how its little legs are grabbing onto the stem.  And it's getting so big!
And speaking also of chomping, Bobby went to pick up some take-out the other day after he dropped off the minivan for service.  Yummy bulgogi! It's small strips of beef stir-fried Korean style.  Yum!!!
And I also tried to air-fry kale (from our garden) for the first time.  It turned out great!
All of us thought it was pretty good, except Graham.  He was not tempted to try one.  It was so crunchy and airy that it pretty much just melts in your mouth! The kale plants are still going pretty strong so hopefully we'll be able to do this again soon :-)

No comments: