Thursday, February 11, 2021

Punch needling

We finally finished our punch needle project!  It took over a month I think as the new project/crate had arrived in the mail and we still weren't finished with this one yet.  These "crates" come once a month. 

I'm glad I was able to introduce punch needling to Graham and Charlie.  I did enjoy doing this when I was a kid although it can get quite tedious.  The needle that we received was so fancy (and sharp!) but glad the boys were careful with it.  There were also 4 different settings so you could control how much yarn you wanted to show through:

The kit came with a frame and also templates, so it was time to pick out what design we wanted.  Graham wanted a rainbow and Charlie wanted a pizza:
So.... there you have it, a Rainbow Pizza!  Well, it was a half rainbow and a small slice of pizza as each boy had half of the canvas, so to speak:
Taking turns!  Charlie struggled a bit with the technique but eventually he did get the hang of it:
We have a long way to go! :-)
It's coming along slowly.  I added 2 clouds in the top.  The boys picked out their own colors:
We're getting there!  It's so cute.  Ha ha!
We decided that we needed to continue on with the rainbow on the other side of the pizza.  Otherwise, there would be too much white space:
And of course by the time it came down to punching in all the white yarn, I ended up with the task.  Pretty monotonous at this point.  And unfortunately, I did end up punching through and tearing part of the fabric, so it was another thing to fix:
And actually, Charlie was trying to help me as well and within 5 seconds of punching the needle, I heard that familiar tear.  So I had another part of the fabric I had to fix/sew up.  Ha!
Ta da!!! I think it's so cute!  
If only Rainbow Pizzas existed :-D

The kit came with a couple of needles and thread to sew up the pillow cover and they also included the small pillow.  This was definitely a fun one to do with the kids!

Our next project/crate is called "Paper Pulp Paintings".  I have no idea what that's about.  Hopefully we'll get to that this weekend instead of computer time.  Although, I just bought a new shed that needs to be put together. It's fairly large - 6ft long by 4ft wide and 6.5ft tall! Graham especially with probably have a fun time with it. Good thing it's a 3-day weekend as there's obviously lots to do!

No comments: