Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Charlie's Shibori project

If you're wondering what "Shibori" is, it is basically the Japanese version of tie-dyeing. The Japanese use several ways to secure and embellish the cloth before dyeing to create some amazing patterns! In our case, we were given some rubberbands and also two square 2x2 flat pieces of wood. This was part of the crafting crate that we ordered for Charlie.  I think this was his last one before the subscription expired.

I forgot to take some photos of the process. I know, sort of slacked off there.  But here are the results!  The bottom one is the fabric we used rubberbands with (as you can see the circles) and the one at the back/top is the fabric that we folded and clamped with the two pieces of 2x2.  They look amazing!

The project came with a messenger bag where you can attach these pieces of cloth.  But if you wanted it double-sided, you had to sew both of them together.  I assigned Charlie to poking the thread through the needles as my eyes are betraying me!  Darn long-sightedness is getting worse!!!
Charlie helped a little with this "blanket" stitch as per the instructions in the book.  He was so afraid of poking himself with the needle, which meant I ended up doing most of it.  Charlie did try his best so that's all that mattered for now:
Here is Charlie styling in new bag.  Front side with the circles:
Other side with the squares! Woot woot!!!  I'm not sure which side I like better.  They both look amazing!
And since there was some left over dye, I decided to do a little project of my own.  It always entails spending more money though.  Ha ha!  I ended up buying a white headband online.  I decided to go with the circle patterns so I tied a lot of rubberbands on the headband:
My "artist" is busy at work getting dye into every nook and cranny:
It's a messy job so good thing the kit also provided gloves.  This company have thought of everything! Including this white bag where you have to leave your project overnight to dry in:
I probably should have worn my kitchen gloves too.  Oh well.  It did all eventually wash off after a day or so:
After taking off the rubberbands and rinsing the headband off with cold water over and over and over again...  TADA!!!
I SUPER LOVE it!  And part of it where the blue meets the white is almost purplish - my favorite color! What do you think? Shabby chic? :-) 
The only problem right now is the extra fabric of the adjustable knot takes a really long time to dry! But look at all the different way to wear this headband.  Seems overly complicated.  Ha ha!
Hopefully the dye/color will not run when I put it in the washing machine.  I suppose I should just handwash it the first few times.  Love LOVE this project!  Still finishing up the needle punching one.  Hopefully it will be done by this week :-D

No comments: