Thursday, February 18, 2021

Happy Chinese New Year

Happy Chinese New Year - the Year of the Ox!  Let's all hope this year will be better than the previous one.  This year I caved in and bought some CNY decorations online.  Love this one that hangs in the kitchen/dining area:

I really think I ended up buying the entire pack of decorations just for this one that hangs on the door :-)
Chinese New Year's eve and the boys and I are making dumplings!  I didn't make the dumpling skin from scratch.  Some day, perhaps... but Graham and Charlie are getting better at wrapping the dumplings.  And Graham participated more this year which I'm very happy about:
Bobby bought a whole array of different dumpling skins.  There are so fancy from the ones I normally buy! And there's even one made out of wheat - no, I don't read Japanese but the color is definitely more "wheat" color.  Ha!
Happy Graham!
The boys' Chinese class had an online feed for the Chinese New Year celebration.  The boys had been pre-recorded to participate in this, so that was fun to watch:
I ended up keeping the wrapped dumpling in the oven as they were drying up sitting on the kitchen counter! And that's even having a damp paper towel over the dumplings:
You know the dumplings are almost ready when they rise to the top of the boiling water.  Yummm!!!
Family we-fie!!!
Graham and Charlie wore their CNY outfits that we had purchased last year.  I'm glad they still fit!

I even busted out my fancy chopsticks for the occasion.  I bought them in Hong Kong years ago during a golf/competitive trip and I probably erased it from my memory as to how much I paid for them.  LOL!!! Also brought out some cute Japanese bowls for the soy sauce.  If you don't know me by now, I really love buying bowls! Perhaps someday I can get a cabinet just to show case my bowls although that would just encourage me to buy more :-)

Here's our usual tradition of "parents giving kids an angpow (red packets) each".  I had totally forgotten that I have to give the boys angpow too.  I had originally only put money in 2 red packets for Bobby to give to the boys:
Graham and Charlie basically have to bow to us and wish us a Happy  Chinese New Year before they can get their red packet.  And of course, they have to say it in Chinese :-)  I hope they can continue this tradition when they grow up... or at least while I'm still alive and insisting on it.  Ha ha!
Happy kids!!!  I ended up giving them a bit money than usual this year.  Maybe I subconsciously felt guilty about yelling at them so much while they are home so much :-P
Charlie is busy figuring out how much they have in their wallet.  I make them write down their debits and credits in a book :-D
May the Year of the Ox be a prosperous one for all.  Stay safe and stay healthy everyone!!!

No comments: