Tuesday, February 23, 2021

New shed - Part 1

Now that we are going to be staying in LA for longer (Bobby got another new job!), my request to get a new shed was finally approved :-)  But first, I have to figure out where to put it.  And of course, I didn't want to go with a small dinky one.  It needed to at least fit the mower as well as most of the garden stuff.  So, the one I found was 6 ft long x 4 ft wide and 6.5 ft high.  Woohoo...!!

And looks like this is the only potential spot for it.  But that means having to get tier/wall pavers and those things are so heavy. Urgh... well, i have to start somewhere I guess. So this is the spot!

It will be in between the fig tree (left) and lemon tree (right):
This is going to be such a chore to level out this area especially when the soil rises up towards the back:
I've barely started and the shed is here!  It's a good thing we had it delivered.  This would have never fit in (or ON!) the minivan.  LOL!!!
The delivery guy could not come up our driveway to help us push this huge box (all 160lbs of it) through the gate.  And of course, Bobby was coincidentally out.  Somehow, we did manage though :-)
I'm looking at the packaging and it says "Easy Assembly".  I hope this is true!
Time to get the boys to help out in between classes.  Although 2 minutes after taking this photo, both boys disappeared!
I'm only laying these square pavers towards the front of the shed as the soil is pretty hard/compact beyond it.  Hopefully this decision won't come back and bite me later on:
Progress is sloooow....:
Finally, the next day I am able to start layering the heavy wall pavers.  Thank goodness it rained a week or so ago.  The soil was already getting firm after getting about a foot down into it:
We dumped all that soil that was dug up into this huge pile to the left.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all this soil yet!
Now we're getting somewhere :-)
I never figured out why these cacti are back here.  This one looked pretty sad.  I was going to save it but decided to just save one of the leaves and throw away the rest as it had some weird white spots on it.  I had to dig through some of the roots too:
After Day 2... about 3/4 way done.  Woohoo..!!!
The boys are insisting on having a fire tonight.  Here's Charlie manning the fire with his stick :-P
I wrapped some solar lights on the 2 trees.  I think it looks ok.  It just seems a bit unbalanced with no lights in this part of the yard.  I'm thinking I might want to add more fairy trinkets under the lemon tree.  We'll see.  Obviously don't want to get carried away, which is an easy thing to do with garden decor.  Ha ha!
I'm finding other pavers that have been buried into the dirt as the soil is washed upon them during the rain:
Day 3.... Ta da!!!
I think it looks level..??! Or level enough. He he...

I did find this grass with an interesting looking flower behind the fig tree.  So cool!
Okay, stay tuned for Part 2 on putting up the new shed!

No comments: