Sunday, October 4, 2020

Wallpapering the Bathroom

I've been curious about these stick-and-peel wallpaper for a really long time now.  It just seems that our master (very small) bathroom is lacking something.  So why not try something different :-)  But the problem is, there are so many different styles of wallpaper!  I finally decided on a pattern. What do you think?

This is also something I wanted to deal with - 3 towels on a hanger! 
The boys have been taking showers in our bathroom, for whatever reason.  Charlie says it's because we have 2 shower heads - one that's on the top and the other is a handheld, which is funny because they have the same setting! Although, okay... I think their shower heads can't actually be both on at the same time.

Anyway,  down comes the towel holder.  I didn't bother fixing the scrapes and holes as I figured it would be covered up eventually with the new wallpaper:
I took the chance to switch the light switches around - the one to the left was the main one and the one to the right turns on the vent/fan.  And somehow that always bugged me!  
Well, funny enough - a week later, I am still confused and am still turning on the switch based on the old configuration.  Let's see how long it will take before I actually get used to what I thought was right in the first place.  Ha ha!

Here are my new towel hooks.  Kinda country-ish :-)
So here it is!  The first panel is on the wall!!!  What do you think of the pattern? I think it's rather cute :-)
I love how you can see the pattern in the mirror when you walk into the bathroom:
The first panel didn't take too long.  Time to put on the second panel and I'm glad we will be covering up some water drips on the wall too.  This is happening on the boys' bathroom wall.  Maybe I need to get some different paint for their bathroom:
I probably should have bought a different print because it was SUCH A PAIN to line up all the animals and the trees and flowers and fence. It probably took me a good 20-30 minutes to get this 2nd panel line up just right:
And just right still meant getting the fence a little bit crooked towards the bottom.  Hopefully nobody is looking at that while they are on the john.  Ha ha!
Phew... on to panel #3!  This one took just a bit longer too because I had to trim right by the edge of the door and also at the light switch.  I was so worried about trimming too much or getting it wrong:
I though that maybe I could put some of the wallpaper on the light switch and that looked bad.  Come to think of it, I've seen some where they actually put the wallpaper on the switch plate, but that's obviously too late now since I've already cut that away:
Time to trim the edges with an pen knife and oops!  I didn't quite keep my lines straight and went above the trim:
And then, on another part - I went too wide and cut some of the trim off!  Double oops!!!
Anyway... TA DAAAAA!!!!  Maybe it is all worth it now!!!  The color didn't match up our shower tiles like I thought it would.  Oh well, we'll keep the wallpaper just for a little while at least :-D
Graham and Charlie gave their approval.  Ha ha!
Here are our new hooks:
I took away a framed flower that was painted in a batik print.  It just didn't quite match this "country-ish" wallpaper.  I'm hoping to just get a nice old antique frame (without the glass) for the spot above the hooks.  Maybe that might be nice??? There are definitely different styles going around the house with mosaic stenciling in the kitchen and now "country chic" in the bathroom.  LOL!!!

I couldn't quite decide about whether to wallpaper perhaps just this one side of the cabinet.  Hmmm...
Plus, there's this sticky oval thing at the bottom, left behind by the previous owner that I can't seem to peel off!!!
Well, decision made a few days later!  At least there weren't too many angles and sides to trim off so it was a quick job:
Still looks pretty messy but I can at least count my geese while I'm brushing my teeth too :-)
All in all, a decent experience with the stick-and-peel wallpaper.  I haven't thought about other spots in the house to wallpaper (yet) so this is it for at least a little while.  Bobby didn't really mention anything about it.  Perhaps at this point he has learned that a Happy Wife = a Happy Life!!!

No comments: