Thursday, March 1, 2018

Welcome Year of the Dog

Somehow I didn't manage to get this posting in the month of February.  Booooo.... Anyhow, the Year of the Dog started last month - February 15th to be exact.  It is Bobby's year!

Every year, I try and keep the tradition of making dumplings.  This year, Charlie decided to help me out!  His dumplings are to the right.  He doesn't quite make the indentations like traditional dumplings but just joining up the edges to make a semi-circle.  So sweet of Charlie no less :-)
Let's eat!!!
 Obviously, Charlie is very excited.  There, now you can see my face. Ha ha!
And then, there is the tradition of giving red packets or "Ang Pow" to the kids and those that are not married.  Graham and Charlie are always happy about this part as I was when I was a little kid.  Too bad there aren't any more other than the ones from us:
We did manage to squeeze in a Lion Dance performance.  One of the Chinese schools around the area hosted one:
The Lion dance is going to start!
The drum is definitely not as loud as I remember them:
Must be a new things with the purple-colored Lion. Those never existed back in my days!
The kids are "feeding" the Lion the red packets but after a while, the kids are asking their parents for money.  And the Lions are just eating up cash. What a treat for them I guess!
One last look! Lion dance... CHECK!
Last but  not least, we have to eat our long noodles - for long life:
It is a good thing Chinese New Year spreads out 15 days long so I have enough time to take care of all of it.  I almost feel as if the traditions are fading a bit being away from family in Malaysia.  Hopefully Graham and Charlie will somehow continue on with it when they grow up. Fingers crossed!

No comments: