Sunday, September 12, 2021

Switch plate to code???

I had finally removed the old dimmer that wasn't working and replaced it with a new one.  And not long after we had moved into this house almost 3 years ago now, we had also disabled/taken out all the recessed lighting for the other switch next to it.  The recessed lights kept going on and off - sort of like what it was doing in the front room.  It was just easier to get rid of them due to the minimal crawl space to fix them. Plus we never really used them very much anyway.

So, I initially had bought a huge switch place with just 1-gang (I definitely learned some new lingo here!) and unfortunately, there only 2 screw holes were in the middle. So that didn't really work with the way this 2-gang outlet was set up. 

I was going to look for another switch plate - one that was just filled on the other side but for whatever reason the way the screws lined up just didn't seem right to me.  So then my brain started thinking about just putting a piece of tile in this empty space. I know, call me crazy!  But we had lots of spare used tiles from our tiling job of the front steps.  I tried to break off a nice rectangular piece but a hammer and screwdriver just didn't quite do the trick. I just ended up with broken pieces of tiles.  Sooooo.... that gave me another idea.  Mosaic!

I used caulking to put it all together and some decorative tape on the back to hold it in place.  Hopefully it's up to code??!

Tada!!!
I might have to eventually get a new switch plate if we are going to sell the house, but this will do for the time being.  And the dimmer now works for our dining room chandelier too.  Win-win! :-D

No comments: