Monday, September 27, 2021

Making own quiver

After spending all that money on the boys buying new archery gear, I've decided to make my own quiver.  A quiver is basically the little long bag where you put your arrows and you normally hang it on your belt loop.  So here goes!  I found some paper towel rolls and some leftover fabric (that was used for Graham's 5th Grade promotion):
I could have dragged out the sewing machine but figured just the needle and thread should be fine.  Sometimes it's just easier because it takes me a while to figure out how to thread the sewing machine again.  Ha ha!
Charlie is helping me thread the needle.  My poor old eyes... :-P
Okay, we are getting somewhere.  Two tubes should be plenty for our normally archery days where we only put 3 arrows in our quiver:
The tubes in the boys' quiver is made out of plastic.  Maybe eventually when I hit the golf shop, I can find some golf club separator/tubes there.  So this will do in the meantime:
And while I'm doing this, I've been thinking about a little baggie for Charlie.  When he is out on the archery range and has to pick up his arrows, he is constantly having a tough time with writing his score down while he has his finger tab on.  Soooo, working on a little baggie so he can put his finger tab:
Not too bad??!  Definitely looks homemade. LOL!!!
And ya, these are the pair of shorts that I cut the pocket out of.  It's the boys' old swim shorts that don't fit anymore.  And actually the elastic is really old too.  We're "up-cycling" as they say :-)
And oh, and then Charlie says he wants to make a little pillow for his baby stuffed "Wolfie":
My quiver is a bit short/petite but looks like it might work without toppling all those arrows over:
I need my model/volunteer to test it out :-)
Not too shabby!  And now moving on back to Charlie's little pillow.  I had him stitch most of it:
Ta da!!! So cute.  He's one happy kid and there's one happy Wolfie :-D
After rethinking about my quiver and contemplating that perhaps it is a bit too petite, I decided to add on some more length to it the morning before our archery session at the park:
I cut it and decided to just sew in a few more inches, except that I had sewn the one side inside out!  Urgh!!! I didn't feel taking off the stitches so I just decided to just keep it as is and "make it work" as Bobby puts it.  And so here is the final project:
I found an old belt and used that to hook the quiver.  There aren't any photos while I was on the range but it definitely worked like a charm!  
If only I can live up to the same standard in shooting:
Okay, so to be fair - it was my first time shooting from 18m.  We normally shoot from 9m and instead of aiming lower, I was aiming higher from the target and needless to say, that's where my arrow ended up. Too funny!  I was just glad that the ladder was already handy and one of the coaches was more than willing to go up there and really pry my poor arrow out of the wood :-D

Hey, at least Graham said I looked very professional with my new homemade quiver.  That or he was just making fun of me ;-P

No comments: