Sunday, September 12, 2021

Cleaning solar panels

We have been wanting to clean the solar panels for a really long time but just never got to it.  It had only been cleaned once and that was when we first moved into this house (3 years by October!).  For whatever reason, Bobby finally motivated and got up onto the roof today.  He had also just gone out to buy a new hose.  Here goes!

We decided to use the car-washing brush that can be connected to the house. It's working great!  We were going to use soap but I wasn't sure if car soap would do harm to the panels, so we skipped that and just used the brush and water.

Somehow I had managed to create this wide-angled photo. So cool!  But also, yikes.. our back patio is so messy! Maybe I should re-word it and just say "well used".   Ha ha!
I'm glad Graham and Charlie are not too afraid to be on the roof.  I know Graham was previously quite scared going up there:
I thought the hose could reach the solar panels on that side, but Graham is having fun aiming the water at the attic fans, which are also solar-powered and needed to be cleaned:
Time to do the panels on the front!  I don't know why Bobby wanted to just do them another day.  We might as well since everyone is now on top of the roof!  Although I guess it's my turn to tackle the ones on the front side of the house:
Charlie is having the best seat and the best view!
I'm glad no one tumbled down the roof:
And check out how clean the solar panels are after going through it with the brush and water (right) compared to the other dirty ones.  It would be funny if it drizzled in the next few days and the panels got all dirty again.  Ha!  But what we really need is some good rain!  It's been so long.  In any case, one task down (and so many more to go)...! :-)

No comments: