Monday, September 13, 2021

Garden update

Somehow I had forgotten to publish this post!  It was written last month. So here it is :-)

We finally had ripe figs!  I had to hurry to get these as I saw the squirrel scurrying along the telephone wire in the backyard.  Ha ha!

And I'm trying to grow some sweet potatoes too.  I managed to get some slips by putting the sweet potato in water and place them under the "Grow light" indoors:
Let's see how these grow!  It's actually a bit late to be planting sweet potato, but hey - it's California, right??! :-P
And oh, our hummingbirds love this new feeder too! Although it does leak and sometimes I can't tell if the hummingbirds are getting any sugar water.  They would sometimes be chirping and buzzing around the bottle:

We actually had the bottle above our outdoor dining table but it keeps leaking!  I thought I fixed that but looks like we have to go back to the drawing board.  Or just bite the bullet and buy another spout?!

I picked up a couple of metal planter months ago (maybe like 9 months ago??! Ha ha!).  Well, the first one was fixed up back in June.  I finally decided to fix up the 2nd one today.  Should have taken a before photo.  Such a chore getting all the dirt out and scrapping off the rusty metal.  It's not looking all that great, but at least better than what it was:

And I'm going to set it right area that backs to the she-shed:
Ta da!  The tall spiny cactus used to be in the ground at this same spot.  Hopefully it won't complain about being out of the ground.  And I managed to find some other things around the yard to throw into this planter too:
Not too shabby??!  What do you think of my pair of slippers on each end?  Ha ha!
I couldn't help but shove some succulents that the boys had broken off my other plants.  Hope they will grow nicely!
And these were actually Ikea sandals that we didn't really care for and I just couldn't get myself to throw them out.  I think they call it "up-cycling" these days.  Or just plain crazy.  LOL!
The succulents in the first planter are doing fairly well.  I moved it into a spot that is less hot and it seems to be doing much better.  Just have to remember to water them!  
I wonder if there will be a water restriction anytime soon.  The water levels are at historic lows.  And now we are surrounded by fires to the north and since yesterday, to the south.  Yikes! Thankfully no signs of ash or scary smoke/haze.

No comments: