Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Pergola staining and lighting

I thought I was done staining the pergola, but Bobby wasn't too pleased.  So okay, I only did the bottom half of the pergola.  I was going for what's seems to be popular these days... different color for upper and lower cabinets??!  Ha ha!

So, here goes!  It was a bit tricky to stain as I had to get my head over the slats and my arm under it to reach every inch:

It was a slow process to say the least.  And my plants underneath, especially the zucchini got the brunt of it with stain drips.  Oops!
A few hours later... YAY! The very last slat!!!
Looks like there was a hole in my glove.  My 4th fingers is stained!  This was even after I had cleaned it.  And my shirt is definitely ruined.  Oh well:
I decided to spray paint my butterfly candle holder.  It had been hanging on the outside window of the shed.  I may have found the perfect spot for it in the garden!
Tada!!!
I hung it right near/above the milkweed.  Seems appropriate enough with the on-going butterfly theme. So far, I have only seen one Monarch butterfly.  That's one more than zero! I've never seen any until I planted the milkweed.  Although I heard online that some of the milkweed being sold in stores have been sprayed with insecticides.  I hope I'm not killing them instead of actually feeding them!

Instead of candles, I have put plants in the holders. Not sure how long they will last since I don't hand-water very much.  These have somewhat survived outside of the shed but then again, it's more shady back there:
I finally had the chance to hang all the fairy lights now that everything is nicely stained and dry.  I used the extra rebar that I found in the yard (from the previous owner).  The rebar was actually a support for the grapes that we used to have.  I couldn't pound it anymore into the ground, so looks like this one will have to be this tall!  It almost looks like a sailboat at this point as I also put up the "triangle sunshade".  Maybe I need to hang a small flag at the very top??? :-)
So far so good!  Can't wait to see it all lit at night:
Love LOVE it!!!
It's funny seeing that umbrella sticking out of the pergola.  Ha ha!
Bobby says it's like our little backyard oasis and I think it really is.  It's amazing how lighting can really have such an effect!
I had another idea for the backyard.  I figured since we weren't using this anymore... I couldn't find a place to hang it unlike our old home:
Maybe something like this for our book corner???
Bobby was maybe a bit sad but I thought it did look better this way.  Plus, I also made a dragonfly with the extra bit of wire.  Or what appears to look like one.  The boys did say it was a dragonfly.  That was enough to make me happy :-D
And this is probably my happiest feeling, seeing the boys in those chairs chit-chatting to each other.  It's like their social hour with fizzy Pelligrino. LOL!!!

Success!!! So super happy to see how everything has turned out.  A friend was in the backyard a few nights ago and she called it an "oasis" too!  I did feel really bad about all her mosquito bites though.  Ouch!  That's one thing I still have to figure out.

Well, moving on to the next project!  Yeah, as you can see - there's 3 bags of gravel waiting to be laid out somewhere in the yard.  This house is just never ending with projects!

No comments: