Saturday, August 22, 2020

Fixing up the sprinkler

I always feel so bad for the neighbor when I water the front yard - especially when the wind is blowing towards their driveway,  Their car gets totally drizzled on with all of our water!  So, I decided to change out a few sprinklers.  Did you know that they are rotating sprinklers these days??!  Who knew! Instead of having water spray everywhere, the water comes out in streams and supposedly the wind doesn't affect it as much and it's also better for water absorption too. 

Well, first off is to cap a few of our many sprinkler heads.  I think I capped about 7 of them??! I have no idea what the previous owners were thinking.  But then again, supposedly they were growing rows and rows of corn in the front yard!

I actually bought a couple of "spray" sprinklers before noticing the rotating ones.  Oh well, maybe I can use them in the backyard. 

I didn't realized that I had buried this sprinkler head under one of my border/pavers! And this is the one that always spraying the neighbor's car.  Maybe that's why I had buried it without realizing.  Ha ha!
I was trying to undo a sprinkler head and I kept twisting and twisting... and somehow the water kept spitting out even more and more.  I knew it was a bad sign!  I totally separated one of these plastic connectors!!! And the other half is stuck in the main sprinkler line.  Oops was probably an understatement!  But thankfully, the next day - I was able to get this little piece out.  Yipee!!!  I didn't have to spend any money calling our gardener.  I'm sure he would have had a good laugh!
These were my fix-it tools (as seen below) for the task. I'm just glad I had some good gloves on and I didn't saw any fingers off or impale myself with a screwdriver (again):

Even Bobby agrees that the yard looks better with the new sprinkler heads.  There are still 2 or 3 more that I would like to change out or experiment with.  Our front stoop keeps getting wet when I turn the sprinklers on, so that really needs to be fixed.  Especially if or when we decide to finally fix up our front stoop! And by the way, the amount of pressure needed to water the yard is so much less than what it was before.  Hopefully that means we are saving some water (and money!).  Win-win!!! 

No comments: