Sunday, July 9, 2023

Trip to New Orleans (May 12-13)

I'm not sure how I missed posting this trip, but yet - somehow I did!  We flew into New Orleans and drove into Baton Rouge for a day.  We were actually there to meet Bobby's potential future boss. The company is located in St. Louis but the big boss wanted to met Bobby and the rest of us. I guess it was sort of a family "interview" process although this company had given Bob an offer letter last year. It happened while we were on our way, driving up to IL from CA.  But we decided to stay in IL instead of moving to St. Louis since we didn't even see the house yet! 

Well, we made the most of our trip for sure.  It's been a while since we've all traveled on the airplane:
Boys and their Dunkin habit!
Waiting time = Phone time:
Charlie just got his phone not too long ago so he's busy taking photos:
2+ hours later and we are in New Orleans!  
My bum was already sore after 2 hours on the airplane.  I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with the 20+ hours we are going to have when we travel back to Malaysia later this summer. Yikes!
And I decided to still travel with my mask on although all the boys are not. We'll see what we decide during our international travel.

More photo-taking for Charlie:
We decided to have lunch at this dinky little store not too far from the airport. I guess you know it's authentic when they are serving alligator sausages. Ha ha!
I've totally forgotten about red beans and rice. Yuuummm!!!
I used to work in Louisiana many years ago (when I worked as a computer programmer) and gosh, did I fall in love with the food :-)

Graham seems to love his hamburger. His expression was priceless!
And so is Bobby's with this little dessert cup. LOL!!
Driving by Louisiana's old state Capitol on the way to our hotel in Baton Rouge:
Next morning, we can finally see the view - right off the Mississippi river:
Graham brought Fluffy on the trip too.  This little giraffe has survived so many flights and trips with us since Graham was 5 years old, I think.  That makes Fluffy about 8 years old!
Not so sure what this sculpture is now, by the river:
Hang on, this sculpture is called "Sing the River" (thank you, internet!):
It's suppose to play music that corresponds with the rise and fall of the water in the Mississippi.  I don't remember hearing anything though. Hmmm...

We decided to check out Louisiana State University campus: 
These trees are MASSIVE!!
I'm not sure why but there's a tower here named "Graham Tiger Tower".  I wonder who this Graham is??!
And there's a real tiger on campus! What?!!
Here he is... Mike the Tiger.  Or technically Mike VII:
2023 marks 87 years of LSU's live mascot program.  Amazing!
Pretty neat campus!
Quite the drive back to New Orleans on the elevated bridge:
We are in the French Quarters today.  Had to explain Mardi Gras to the boys and also about the beads hanging everywhere. Ha!
We decided to try Cafe Beignet this time (vs. Cafe du Monde):
OMG, I don't remember beignets being this massive!
Charlie is going in for one:
Yup, powdered sugar everywhere. LOL!!
Pretty cool decor in here.  Love the massive mirror and the ceiling:
Okay, into the streets we go.  Charlie is still click happy with his phone camera:
Who knew the oldest cathedral in the United States is in New Orleans!
This cathedral was completed in 1851, and was built over the foundations of a colonial 1727 church. Amazing!
Love the checked black and white floors inside:
Look like a huge sea shell on the back of the speaker/podium to project the sound:
Off to the river and there's a riverboat.  I was on this steamboat yeeeeaaars ago with my co-worker. Who knew I'd be back to see it with my boys now:
Quite the river!
One last look at the cathedral:
And another look at part of the French Quarters before leaving:
Spotted an amazing dress in a window front. It's all embroidered. Woah!!
It's a rather sunny day so I brought the umbrella out.  More like Charlie's umbrella now :-)
Time for ice cream!
Looks like there's an infamous pigeon here:
Pretty neat how the city have the plaques of the previous street names during the Spaniard times:
Driving by a popular restaurant - "Commander's Palace".  Suppose to have trained famous chefs like Emeril here:
Dropped in Cafe du Monde souvenir store to buy some goodies:
Although, I've come to find out that pralines is not my favorite!

Looking for dinner near the hotel:
I don't remember what district we're in but we found a yummy crepe/dessert spot:
Fun trip!!
In the end, Bobby didn't get the job but probably for the best since we are really enjoying our time in IL. Yay on a (semi-)free trip though :-P

No comments: