Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Last day of CNY

The last day of Chinese New Year was this past 15th of February.  Normally, we're suppose to celebrate it by eating a dessert called "Tang Yuan" which literally translates to "round ball in soup".  And that's pretty much what it is - round glutinous rice balls that also looks like a full moon, which also signifies the last day of CNY. The inside of the Tang Yuan is filled with some sort of ground nuts.  I remember it being pretty yummy as we used to have it growing up in Malaysia.  I've not introduced them to the boys yet.  Perhaps next year!

The boys did have their Chinese class today so I decided to get some Chinese take-out while waiting for their 1-hr class to finish.  Oh boy, quite a bad looking storm ahead!

The storm doesn't help with traffic for sure!  And it did take the restaurant forever to cook up our order too.  I suppose everyone is celebrating the last day of CNY with Chinese take-out.  Ha ha!  

I ordered some sweet and sour pork.  YUMMMM....
And supposedly, this restaurant has some good duck too.  Obviously with bones, so Bobby and Graham were not interested at all in touching this dish.  Charlie did try it although he wasn't too keen on it, but at least he tried it:
So needless to say, there was a lot of leftover duck!  Fortunately, duck leftovers make very yummy porridge so I got as much meat off those bones and threw the bones to make a broth.  And eventually used the duck broth to make the porridge and then dumped whatever leftover meat into it as well.  A little bit of soy sauce and salt and top it off with some fried onions.. Voila! Boys love this stuff.  Isn't that funny??! 

And oh, Graham and Charlie really loved the sweet and sour pork too.  I grew up eating so much of this when I was in Malaysia. Every time we went to a Chinese restaurant (which wasn't very often), this dish would be the first one to be called out for the order.  Definitely one of my favorite dishes, except no one likes the red and green peppers or the pineapple chunks.  Ha!
Bobby and I had a chance to go to a Japanese market too in between the boys' class. We did managed to find this Pocari drink.  Graham loves this stuff!  It's sort of like the Asian version of Gatorade.  I remembered drinking a lot of this when I was golfing in Japan.  It's funny how now my kids love the same stuff.  I suppose with 30g of sugar per serving, who doesn't!
I also did find some Chinese pancake stuffed with red bean paste.  And Charlie LOVES this... LOL!!
Yup, another one of my favorites!  So I guess eventually I will have to introduce them to Tang Yuan. Although Graham doesn't like nuts.  Maybe he might change his mind by next year :-D

No comments: