Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Garden updates

The weather has been a bit wonky lately.  Warm then hot, and then another cool down.  I'm guessing the plants and fruit trees are probably a bit confused right now.  In any case, the fig trees are already starting to rebloom and I've yet to prune them!
Looks like I have my work cut out for me.  I have one tree here to prune:
And then another fig tree (in the background) and also the apricot tree here to prune.  The apricot tree has only given me 1 fruit since the four years we've lived here!
These yellow jasmines are pretty although they don't smell as much as the white ones:
Roses need pruning too but I'll just wait until these blooms die off.  Too pretty to get rid of right now:
I never quite know what these flowers/plant is called. It's just really a dull and flat palm-like looking plant but its flowers are amazing!
And these succulents have such cute flowers:
And I hardly water these either!  I'm just glad it's thriving... for now :-)
And oh, look what I found - a Monarch caterpillar!
Only saw this one little guy, although I should probably transfer him to the front yard.  The milkweed there is looking slightly healthier than the ones in the backyard.  Assuming I can find this little guy later though.  They disappear so quickly!

I suppose with the change of season, we should probably move this Christmas "salt" tree out of rotation. I wonder how long these salt crystals will stay on:
And of course, I couldn't help myself but to buy another plant.  I've always wanted something like this one.  I think it's common name is Ponytail plant.  I can totally see why it's call that now.  Ha!
I still have this trailing plant although the kokedama part of it is coming apart.  That's the twine part of it that wraps this plant up in a ball.  I do have more twine so eventually I'll have to wrap it back up together.  But in the meantime, it's sitting quite nicely in a small plastic container that I've hidden inside this orchid planter.  Looks pretty good - for now :-D
We still have our hummingbirds coming around.  I thought there were only two but looks like we have 3 now - Chubby, Tiny, and I'm not sure what we've named the 3rd one now:
I'll need to get my act together and prune the orange trees out back soon.  They are starting to sprout new leaves too!  Always something around here, and oh... which reminds me - the faucet of the sprinkler water line broke first things Saturday morning.  But thankfully that's fixed now.  Yay!!

No comments: