Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Garden update

I'm so excited about our vegetables that are starting to grow!  Well, first off - I was shocked to see the size of this green pepper.  It had been a few days since I had checked the garden.  The recent rain must have helped!

We've been eating a lot of kale but I can't wait until these get bigger and ready for harvest.  Here's the cauliflower:
And a couple of our broccoli plants are doing quite well too:
.  
I hope we don't have any pests. That would be really disappointing after having to wait so long! There are a few holes in the leaves of our kale plants but so far we still have plenty of kale to spare. I might look up some natural pest deterrents.

In the meantime, my Fuchsia plant is recovering quite well! New leaves are starting to sprout.  Yay!!! I hope it will flower again:
That's it for now.  I just put down some dandelion and weed killer in the yard on Monday.  I hope it also takes care of all the clovers that are overtaking the yard!  It's been unseasonably warm this January, which is suppose to our wettest month.  We've only had less than 2" of rain so far (normally 5" by now).  At least both the rain barrels are still fairly full. I've only used the water from there to hand-water the flowers and veggies when I don't run the sprinklers.

I'll post more on the garden when we're ready to harvest! :-)

No comments: