Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Bulky Blanket

My uncle in Canada passed away recently in December and I was trying to think of something to give to my aunt.  I was thinking about a weighted blanket - supposedly that helps in providing "hug-like" comfort.  I started looking around online but just couldn't agree on one with my sister.  I did finally come across these bulky blankets and found a really nice one but it was about $250!  And then of course I can across lots of videos on how to make one. Well, you guess it.  The yarn finally arrived earlier this month:
They weren't joking when they said "bulky"!  I figured the best place to start this was on the couch.  You can actually use your arms like knitting needles but I didn't want to be stuck with yarn around my arm for hours.  Can you imagine if I had to use the loo in between? Yikes! Ha ha!
It's a rather simple process.  Even the boys were able to help out:
The only trick though I'd come to realize after a while is the tension - this first attempt was obviously too loose.  The gaps were too wide between the yarn/stitching:
And I also have to figure out how to hide the knot and ends where I ended up joining the next skein:
Okay,... so attempt #2 was slightly better in getting the stitches a bit tighter/closer to each other:
Not too bad...
But oh snap!  I missed a stitch!  And I kept telling the boys to count and I obviously didn't do what I was telling them:
So we are back to almost square one:
Perhaps 3rd time is the charm! At this point, the boys decided they had enough and was happier playing computer games.  And I wasn't doing my back any favors either.  Note to self - need a higher spot to work on for next bulky blanket project (whenever that might be!):
We are finally getting somewhere.  Yay!
Two thirds way done but it's looking perhaps just a bit narrow?  I'm going to have to try and fix that later:
And oh, I tried to fix those loose ends and accidentally pulled on the yarn too hard and it started unraveling. Noooo...!!!  Especially for the amount I paid for each skein.  I hope this blanket holds up!
Well, here it is... ta da!!!  I had some extra yarn and went around it a couple more times to make it wider.  It's a good size for me and my aunt is smaller in size so hopefully it will be just perfect for her.  It was definitely nice and cozy.  I want one!
I suppose there's only one way to see if this blanket can hold up. Just leave it to the boys! Graham and Charlie said the blanket has a lot of holes.  Ha!
Both of them took turns to snuggle with it.  Can you see Graham's head?
And here is Charlie snuggling with it on the floor/rug:
It's a good thing I can dump this blanket in the dryer to be cleaned/sanitized.  Yes, there's actually a setting for that on my dryer machine!  

I hope my aunt can find some comfort with this blanket.  I can't imagine losing someone so close.  They had just celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary last year.  Bobby and I actually just celebrated our 14th today!  Photos to follow later.  In the meantime, wish me luck at the post office.  I can't even remember the last time I drove out.  The Covid situation unfortunately hasn't changed much in the new year :-\

No comments: