Thursday, January 28, 2021

Clearing out the tomato plant

The tomato plant is going out of control!  I have so many tomatoes that are going bad and the vines are going everywhere.  I tried to tie them up so they would stay above the ground but then it would all still seems so overcrowded:

Okay, as usual I overdid what I was going to do, but the place looks so much better now - less messy. Ha ha! I really should plant a cherry tomato plant instead.  I do prefer those instead of the bigger ones. In any case, hopefully I can manage this tomato plant a bit better. I do also love tomato mozzarella salads :-)
I ended up moving the Lantana plant (bushy plant to right) out of the way. It was blocking the sprinkler. I also ended up picking some green tomatoes.  I guess I need to try out a fried green tomato recipe??! I also cut off some celery - it's tucked behind the messy overgrown onion plants.  I gnawed on a celery earlier this morning, even the young shoots were bitter and stringy. Hmmm...??!
Looks so much better now that the Lantana is out of the way too!
I moved the other Birds of Paradise over to this area too.  I was going to put it in the ground but thought, why not just put the pot in the ground, so that's what I did. Ha ha!  I think it looks pretty good.  So excited that more flowers are coming up.  I think the hummingbirds like those flowers too:
I've moved the Lantana to this part of the garden:
I have a whole mesh of different types of flowers in this garden bed.  The Lantanas are not looking very good after 2 days. I might have to trim it back so it can start growing again.  It does take a few days for the plants to recuperate the move - sort of like this cauliflower that I moved a few days ago as well.  Leaves were looking rather sloppy:
But I'm happy to say that the two cauliflower plants I've moved into this raised bed are perking up and looking well!  Hopefully we will get a couple good ones like we did the last time.  There were some aphids in one of them so I sprayed them all off with water.  Hope I got all of them. I would hate an infestation of aphids to spread to the broccoli and kale too in this same raised bed!

I'm also happy to say that my Kokedama plant is doing really well! I found some Christmas sock hooks and decided it was a good hook to hang the plant.  I think it looks pretty good by the TV and it gets some natural light as well from the window on the opposite wall:
I really should think about hanging all my indoor plants like this!  Maybe another hobby to pick up at a later time.  Right now, I still have a punch needle project I need to finish.  I'll update that on the blog when it's done :-)

No comments: