Sunday, January 29, 2023

Recent happenings

As per usual, always something going on around here!  

I'm not sure if this birdie was just "camping out" for a few hours because I haven't seen it since this particular morning! Weird...
That birdhouse is brand new so I guess there's no "fluff" in it yet to keep warm. That's probably why that birdie hasn't stuck around. I suppose if it's snowy and cold like this, I'd like to camp out somewhere warm!
I know those tracks to the right are Bobby's.  But what about those smaller ones going across the driveway? Hmmm....
Here's a fun project - trying to get the old stubby candles out of a candelabra.  I figured the best way to do it was actually to light the candle and dump out all the wax while it's melting.  And it worked! Now, I just have to do it 2 more times:
I'm finally done with putting up the shelves for downstairs.  Yay!!
Looks so nice but nope, don't pan to the left side of the room. Noooo...!!
Yes, still a mess but it's coming a long slowly but surely.  Or at least that's what I keep telling myself. Ha ha!

Last week, we were able to get to our golf club to help out with the project of making tie knot blankets.  Even Bobby participated.  I'm so proud of him!
There was a Art Gallery Night at Charlie's school recently.  Actually on the same night as the tie knot blanket project. Glad we were able to get to school on time to pick up his art piece.  Charlie said with this one, he was inspired by Bob Ross. Yes, happy little trees! :-)
It has been one year since our septic tank was cleaned out.  I'm glad Bobby was on top of this task of calling the company that the previous owner had used. The person over the phone said it normally gets emptied it out in about 2 years, but the guy that showed up said the tank was almost full!  So it was a good thing we had them come by.  And I'm shocked that Bobby was actually outside talking to this guy while the septic tank was being emptied.  Ohhh, that smell...!!
Looks like this is the only gardening I'm doing these days. Succulents!
A lot of my indoor plants are not doing well.  I think I'm actually overwatering them.  So I'm sticking to succulents and using our little Groot planters as well :-)
We are definitely not getting a lot of sun out here these days:
And if you're like Graham wearing glasses, you're not getting a good visual when you walk back into the house after being in the cold outside.  Foggy glasses... LOL!!
During every Chinese New Year, we always attempt to have noodles.  Long noodles for long life, as they say in the Chinese culture:
I normally try and buy some fresh noodles, but this year - I decided on just Japanese Ramen with instant miso paste broth (just add hot water), some pre-made (frozen) pot stickers, and even some Korean Kimchi on the side.  I wonder what my grandmother would be saying in her grave.  Ha!  I did add the usual sliced cucumbers and minced garlic with vinegar.  The combination of all of these actually worked!  And I'm loving the Japanese bowls that was gifted by our friends from California :-)

I'm so glad the boys have been able to try a few more traditional Chinese tidbits.  I bought this from the Malaysian restaurant that's not too far from us:
Here are some cornflake biscuits.  I've made these before a long time ago, but I remembered mine were a bit sweeter.  These were still super yummy and crunchy.  They did not last the day!
And these are called Kueh Kapit or Love Letters.  These are folded vs there are ones that are rolled:
These are SO delicate that you have to just put the entire thing in your mouth. They basically just disintegrate if you try to bit into them.  Another good childhood memory :-)

No comments: