Thursday, November 10, 2022

Recent happenings

There seems to be so much going on recently.  Never ending with the house and with the kids!

First off, the switches.  All the switches in the house look like this.  And for whatever reason, this one is really loud! Or perhaps all of them are loud and I only notice this one. It's especially loud when Bobby turns it on and off in the mornings when he uses the bathroom.  Soooo.....
Ta da!! I switched it to a toggle and got a nice face plate for it.  Ha!
But then I heard Bobby turn on and off another switch really loudly in another part of the bathroom. Urgh, can't win!!

I also switched out the boys' bathroom switch to one that has a timer.  We had this in CA and I guess I spoiled them with the auto-off because they kept leaving the bathroom light on when we moved here! Although, they actually have been really good about turning their bathroom light off recently, but since I had already bought the new switch...:
I actually had to buy a new light bulb too because for whatever reason, certain types of light bulbs were staying on even though the switch was off!  I had to get the most basic one.  So strange! Sometimes the most basic is the best, but check out this "Smart" bulb that I had purchased recently:
Are you kidding me??! Ha ha!!  And I can set all sort of timers for it to come on and off during certain times of the day.  And obviously you can set it any color of the rainbow - with different brightness. AND I can even be as specific as "10 minutes before sunset".  Seriously??!
It's amazing how far light bulbs have come this day in age.  And now, if only someone can come up with an easier way to remove and install light fixtures. Like a plug in or something!!
I decided on just this simple light fixture - which is from a previous home:
Just one more chandelier to bring down, and that's in our bedroom.  Still haven't installed that ceiling fan yet!

In other news, I finally ordered a new lint filter for our old dryer.  This one was so broken up.  The handle was broken and bits and pieces of the metal lint filter was torn up that I managed to actually draw blood when I accidentally poked myself with the metal bits! 
The new one (to the right) looks so much better.  Yay!!
The boys had a day off last week and so we decided to find a spot to go indoor rock climbing:
We invited some friends along.  So much fun!!
The routes on these walls were a bit tricky to follow compared to our previous climbing spot in CA, which was unfortunate.  But we had the entire place to ourselves, which was great!

2nd lunch after climbing.  I'm glad they have Raising Canes here too! Although the chicken strips looks smaller and smaller each time we go there:
I bought a couple of plants for the front of the house.  I don't understand why these planters are so expensive!! The smaller ones are at least $70 each and the even taller ones are over $100 EACH!
I did pay a little more than I wanted for this trellis, but it does look great here with my plant.  Better than training the plant  to go up a curtain rod :-P
Finally bought a new clock too. So glad this one was on sale! I'm not sure why the other one just wasn't working properly and it was a pain to always have to get up on a chair to fix it!
Bobby and Charlie enjoying popcorn time in the double Papasan chair.  So glad we bought this :-D
It was so windy this past Saturday that our chimney top fell off!  We did hear some sort of noise but I didn't really investigate.  I guess it was a good thing none of us were outside on the deck at that time:
Seems that the old one won't stay back up, so it's a good thing we had just purchased a few new bungee cords:
I decided to just buy a new chimney topper.  Ps, when in doubt, always go with the bigger size! I had to go back to the store to return the smaller one. Should have known better to bring a measuring tape the first time I was up there!
The timing worked out with Tuesday being a holiday (Election Day) since the Lunar Eclipse was also happening early that morning.  Here it is!  The moon was a lot smaller than I had expected so ya, perhaps just slightly disappointed:
But I'm so glad we woke up early for it as we have a telescope.  Charlie's expression is priceless in this photo.  He was like "Too bright!!" when the flash of my phone camera came on, where as Graham was totally unfazed.  Ha ha!
And oh, by the way, it's unFAZED and not unPHASED.  I just found this out! I guess throughout my 40+ years I've never actually had to spell it out but in my mind, I've been saying un-phased.  That's too funny!!!

Last but not least, a trip to the orthodontist.  I'm actually so glad the one in CA fell through when we were trying to get braces in for Graham right during the move to IL.  The technology here is amazing! This scanner basically generated a photo of the boys' teeth electronically and it can even show their bite. Amazing!! No more gooey imprints which Graham totally gagged on!
Graham and Charlie are definitely having too much fun in this unorthodox "dentist" chair:
Looks like these 2 monkeys are going to need Invisilign. It's amazing how those have improved also. Did you know that they can attach rubberbands on them just like you would braces? And there are these notches that you put on your tooth and that attaches on the invisilign plate too, so the doctor is able to adjust each tooth's angle accordingly.  Impressive!  We have yet to pull the trigger on this as we are still trying to figure out financing and insurance, but once we do - it will take Graham at least 2 to 2.5 years for his complete new smile. Charlie's time will be shorter but talk about the double whammy on finances! OUCH!!

That's it for now!

No comments: