Monday, August 6, 2018

Long Beach Women's Open (July 31 - Aug 2)

After almost 20 months away from competitive golf, I was finally able to play in one!  The Long Beach Women's Open was held last week at Sky Links Golf Course, near the Long Beach airport.  It was pretty interesting because there were consistently little airplanes flying over the golf course and you can also hear big jumbo planes taking off near by!  I was totally distracted during practice :-)
Well, the golf itself wasn't too great unfortunately.  Despite some practice, I could not handle my nerves!  I wouldn't say "hand-shaking" kinda nervous but I think I definitely lacked the confidence.  I was missing so many fairways on Day 1, which is really strange as my driver is normally my most consistent club in the bag!  And I was also struggling on short putts.  It definitely made me think twice about continuing my professional career!  And maybe I need to re-think my wardrobe too??!
Thankfully Day 3 was a bit better and I was able to redeem myself - just a little bit!  I swapped into short socks for the day.  Maybe that was it???!?

Final results = Tied for 34th (out of 58 players).  Just missed the money by 3 shots!!! (Sorry you didn't get your entry money back, honey! :-P)

Day 1: Score: 39, 39 = 78
--------------------------------
Fairways hit: 8/14
Greens in regulations: 9/18
# of Putts: 31
Up & Down (chipping) saves : 4/6
Bunker saves: 0/2

Day 2: Score: 37, 41 = 78
--------------------------------
Fairways hit: 9/14 
Greens in regulations: 11/18
# of Putts: 34
Up & Down saves: 1/3
Bunker saves: 0/0

Day 3: Score: 37, 37 = 74
--------------------------------
Fairways hit: 11/14    (Nerves calmer = So much better!!!)
Greens in regulations: 14/18   (Note to self: Helps to hit more greens!!!)
# of Putts: 34
Up & Down saves: 1/3
Bunker saves: 0/1

Such embarrassing statistics!!!  Oh well, I blame it on Bob and Graham and Charlie  :-D
I mean, look at these faces... how do you NOT want to spend ALL your day with these two monkeys??!!  Oh!  Almost forgot... these boys bought me flowers at the end of my tourney. Awwww... so sweet!  XOXO
By the way, I met this young gal who is just a freshman in college (playing as an amateur) and her mom during the golf tournament.  I played my practice round with her and we were also paired together on Day 3.  During warm-up/before play on Day 3, I got to chat with her mom a bit.  She told me that I was an inspiration to her daughter.  According to her daughter... "Ms. Cindy has it figured all out. There is golf and also life after golf."  First off, you know you are so much older when a young gal calls you "Ms".  HAHA!  Come to find out, she wasn't even born after I graduated from college!  And secondly, I felt so honored to be looked-up upon.  Definitely made my day!!!  So despite all that bad golf during the tournament, I am so proud to have been an inspiration to someone. Plus, there were still little hints of highlights in my game - so perhaps there is still that little glimmer of hope for competitive golf in the future :-D

No comments: