Sunday, November 27, 2016

Happy Thanksgiving!

This year, I actually did most of my cooking the day before Thanksgiving.  The boys' school had National Day celebrations the day of, so I wasn't sure how much time I would have to actually cook.  So here goes, a must for Thanksgiving - Pumpkin Cheesecake pie!  I added some bananas into this attempt.  It was good but I think just a bit mushy so maybe no more bananas for next year's batch:
And perhaps the consistency was just a little off as well because I had to use "real" pumpkin and not the usual can ones. I couldn't find our normal can of pumpkin puree.  Thankfully I did know a friend that had a baby food processor, so I was able to blend up some real pumpkin:
This pumpkin color just seems a little off, a bit more yellow rather than orange. Anyhow, perhaps it was still better than using the very expired can of pumpkin. Use by March 2015!!!
There was the option of making this Spiced Pecan Pumpkin bread. I should probably check the expiration date for this one too!
The other usual dish is Mac-n-Cheese:
And also meatloaf.  Meatloaf with slices of bacon on top! Yes, real bacon. There's a pork section at the back of the supermarket. You have to push a button to open the sliding door.
I also made mashed sweet potatoes. YUM!!! But neither of the boys liked it.  The recipe called for pecans and instead of buying a can of pecans (super expensive!) we opted for a can of mixed nuts - cashews, almonds, and pecans.  Wow, the ratio of other nuts to pecans was no way close to 1/3. There were maybe only like 8 pieces of pecans.  I really should write a complaint to the company!!!
Anyhow, I'm glad the meal turned out alright as we had a guest this year.  Our new friend/golf buddy John, from Canada - whom actually just celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving in October.  Thumbs up from everyone!
A mish-mash of food but thankfully, it all worked out alright :-)
Next holiday,... Christmas!  In less than a month!  The year has flown by so quickly.  Thankful for another year of good health (except for the occasional runny noses and fevers) and friends and family!

No comments: