Friday, December 10, 2021

Pumpkin pies

I think this year was my record breaking week of making pumpkin pies! But first, the dread of actually making pumpkin puree.  I don't know why I do this to myself.  Can anyone even tell the difference these days between fresh pumpkin and pumpkin puree from a can? I bet the boys can't!

I'm only realizing that there's a thing called Sweet Pumpkin to make pie with:

And of course I didn't have the heart to throw out all the seeds.  So I toasted them.  No actually, I air-fried them this time. Where is my tupperware of pumpkin seeds now anyway? Hmmm...
After roasting the chopped up pumpkins in the oven, it's time to puree.  I've decided to use my blender instead of my food processor this time.  Less parts to wash! Although I had to put quite a bit of water to blend it all together:
In the meantime, Graham is busy crushing gingersnap cookies so we can make our homemade crust.  It's a good thing I caught him after a little while as he had made a tear in the bag by pounding like this!  Technically he is suppose to roll the can to crush the cookies but I guess pounding with one hand is easier than rolling.  Ha!
And just like that... ta da!!!
That's a lot of eggs, considering every time I make a batch, it's 4 eggs! But so worth it.  Yummm....
You're suppose to let it set overnight but we love to eat it warm:
Look at all these seeds!  I better go find that tupperware.  It's probably a "science experiment" by now?!
After a batch for us and a couple neighbors, I decided to make a few more batches for more neighbors and some friends.  And of course, the boys wanted another batch too.  Time for more gingersnap-crust smashing in Charlie's case:
It would be nice to have a bigger kitchen!  But ahhh... this smell is so good :-D
After 90 minutes in the oven (1 hour for the smaller dishes) - Ta da!!!
The homemade crust (front left) is so much darker than the store bought crust (back right):
Successful Thanksgiving baking week!  So that's 5 big round pies, 2 small rectangular ones, and also 2 little round ones that weren't included in any photos.  Needless to say, a lot of eggs, pumpkin puree, cream cheese, and maple syrup!  No wonder the boys ask for this every single year.  Ha ha!  Well, onward to baking Christmas shortbread very soon.  Although I told the boys I might make a fruitcake this year and smoother it with brandy or some sort of other alcohol.  Stay tuned!! :-D

No comments: