Sunday, November 3, 2019

South Coast Botanic Gardens

We decided to finally redeem our Groupon deal for the Botanic Gardens.  It's not too far from the house, maybe 20 minutes or so.  I overheard from a friend that you shouldn't eat anything off the fruit trees here because this entire place used to be a dump.  YIKES!!!
We bought the Deluxe package so the boys got to pick a new stuffed animal.  I think Graham and Charlie already agreed on naming it Owlet.  Yes, a little owl... which you can barely see on Charlie's shoulder :-)
We walked around the Kids' Discovery Garden, where the boys spotted a tortoise in the water:
I spotted an interesting plant called the Tapeworm plant.  The name itself give me goosebumps!
We are waiting for the last tram of the day at 3:30pm, by the newly renovated Rose Garden:

The new design is created by an renown landscape architect who also worked at the Getty Villa.  Somehow, I didn't take a photo of the Rose Garden but did take a photo of this rose where it's yellow on the top and pink on the bottom.  Fascinating!
I wonder if my small Yucca plant in the backyard will end up being THIS big!!!
And look at the roots and branches of these banyan trees!!!  Funny but it's true what they say about it being 10 degrees cooler under these trees:
There are a few sculptures as well in the Botanic Garden.  We didn't stop and get off the tram to take a closer look.  Maybe next time!
Short but sweet visit! And topped off with a hawk that flew by and perched itself on the flag pole by our car in the parking lot:
And oh, I picked up another air plant.  I didn't have to pay too much for it as there was a $8 discount on getting a free plant as a Deluxe member.  I somehow managed to kill the 2 little ones that was provided to me during a macrame project in the local library a few months ago.
This one is a lot bigger so maybe a bit more difficult to kill??!!  Wish me luck!

No comments: