Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Garden update

I actually had to clean up the garden at school last week.  I had signed up for the Garden Classes in the Fall but who knew the volunteers also had to maintain the garden during the summer!  Well, we found a few veggies that were ready for picking.  Look at the size of that zucchini!!!  I guess that means I have to make zucchini bread then???!
In the meantime, both our blackberry plants are not doing very well.  I wonder if I can take them back to the store and ask for a refund???
My friend Linda gave me a couple of bell pepper plants for my birthday and one of them has a couple of peppers on them.  So exciting!
Over the weekend, I decided to take out the Yucca plant that was growing along the side of the house.  It was sort of smushed in among all the other foliage and knowing how big this Yucca plant can grow, I figured it was time to take it out.  Phew... what a battle!  The roots were not very deep but they were surely holding on strong to the dirt!  Needless to say, after about an hour or so, it was Yucca: 0 to Mommy: 1.  Hooray!!!
And in the meantime, I also decided to take out the makeshift grapevine poles that almost looks like a clothes line.  These were put up by the previous owner and we had been wanting to take it down for the longest time.  I did finally take down the one grape vine that was growing there.  It was the only vine that produced grapes but gosh, they were so sour!
And as small as they were, there was also 1 single seed in it!  I save these bunch of grapes but even so, not really knowing what I am going to do with it.  It's just pretty to look at.  Ha ha!
Yay, clothes line no more and the Yucca plant looks so much happier here!  These plants are suppose to be very low maintenance.  My biggest worry is actually over watering it!  I don't think I had the proper soil for it so I had to mix some potting mix and also some of the dirt from the ground from digging.  Maybe that will help keep the water draining better?!
There is an orange tree next to the Yucca plant that we are thinking of getting rid of as well.  We'll see when that will actually be done.  And actually, the rest of the grape vines as well along that pergola.  I am thinking of putting a small putting green under the pergola there.  He he he...

So happy that the gardener came by over the weekend and fixed up our sprinklers!  The sprinklers used to spray everywhere so we ended up having him put in drip lines instead.  I should have taken a photo of what I had drawn out.  We have 3 different spouts that run 3 separate sprinkler lines.  It was tricky figuring which spout turned on which sprinkler without getting too wet!

I'm sure the plants will be a lot happier now.  I planted the 2 rose bushes that we had brought over from Phoenix in this same plot as where the bell peppers are.  And we have a small tomato plant growing as well as a sweet pepper plant:
I decided to hang one tomato plant in our apricot tree - upside down in a container:
Will see how it all turns out. Stay tuned for further updates! :-)

No comments: