Sunday, February 19, 2023

New gas insert fireplace

Bobby and I  kept going back and forth about getting a gas insert for the fireplace downstairs.  The chimney needed to be worked on, so either pay for that or just bypass the repair and install a gas insert instead. Obviously there was a huge difference with the amount to be paid but I think we made the right choice. Not only does it look good but it's heating up the house nicely too!
It was funny but Graham also picked the style as I did - using these glass pebbles vs fake logs:
He did want a mirrored back but I went with a solid striped pattern. Oh well, too late now. Don't think I want to spend anymore money as it's functioning just fine now.  

Sure beats having all the firewood piled up like what we have upstairs for our wood-burning fireplace!
And don't get me started on the mess from the wood chips and also the ash to be cleaned up after as well. Phew! The gas insert is too easy - everything works on a remote and even with no electricity, the flame will still come on as long as the battery within the unit did not die out. 

This new fireplace is definitely doing the trick.  We are able to spend more time downstairs now:
The more comfortable temperature recently also gave me a reason to go through all of our DVDs. And wow, we have a lot of it!
I hope we spend more time playing games downstairs vs. watching TV upstairs:
We were actually supposed to have a whole-house generator installed last Dec/Jan but that fell through as scheduling with the installer didn't work out. I'm so glad we decided to nix that idea because I think this new gas insert is also helping with the temperature upstairs.  I'm not sure if it's my imagination but I don't think the furnace upstairs has come on as often.  The temperature upstairs still registers at 65F (we do have our furnace set at 66F) but somehow, perhaps the floor isn't as cold?!


I did finally cave in and bought another one of these indoor/outdoor thermostats.  We did have one in California but I can't seem to find it. I swear there is one box missing from the move!

No comments: