Friday, June 1, 2018

Colonoscopy

This is probably a rather weird posting to write about but I wanted to make a small note of my experience.  So let's see here... prep solution = bad effects!!!
Thankfully it didn't taste all that bad with the lemon flavor add-on.  Especially when you have to drink all 4 litres of it!  Well, it was 3 litres the first night (after 6pm) and then I had to finish up the  remaining prep solution the following morning at 6am.  Oh, and I forgot about the fasting - no solids the day before.  Just a liquid diet.  It was obviously a bit difficult when the kids were constantly asking for snacks!  But somehow I managed to resist and oddly enough, I didn't even feel all that hungry the morning of the procedure.

By the way, it is amazing how many people were at this clinic! Bobby drove me there and when we got there, it was the usual "fill up the paperwork" and wait.  Once the nurse called my name, I had to admit - I was a bit anxious.  I think more so about going under during the procedure than anything. I did find out later that it was the same stuff that Michael Jackson used. YIKES!!!

Thankfully all the nurses were wonderful.  They did have a tough time trying to poke into my vein for the IV so it was further along the arm instead.  And that second time hurt! OUCH!!!  It was a bit weird being wheeled into the procedure room on a gurney but after a quick chat with the doc, the nurse said "See you later!" and injected whatever it was into my IV and I could smell something different in my breathing tubes.  I'm not sure how long I fell asleep for but when I woke up the doc was still on the phone.  Ha Ha!  So when he was finally ready, the nurse told him to wait as she had to put me under again.  I am glad I got her attention!

I can't remember how long it took now but wow, it was a really great nap! The odd part about the last bit is that you actually have to pass gas.  Who knew that the doc actually pumps gas into your colon to check it.  So the next 30 minutes of "resting" was really to pass gas. LOL!!!

Good news is... all is well!  Next colonoscopy will be due in 5 years. By the way, if you are wondering why I am doing this procedure at the age of (almost) 42 and not the standard of 50 years old, it is because my mom passed away from colon cancer. Sometimes I wonder if she would still be around if she had checked too :-(

Oh, on a funny note - Bobby sent the boys to school that morning and the school staff that normally greets them asked where I was.  According to Bobby, Graham looked at him and then looked back at Mrs R. and said "My mommy had to poop!!!"  That is probably the quote of the year :-D

No comments: