Sunday, September 3, 2023

Trip to Malaysia (7/17)

August 2016 was our last trip back to my hometown of Kota Kinabalu in Sabah, Malaysia.  That's about 7 years ago!  Graham was only 6 years old and Charlie was 4 years old. Wow!
Here's the link for part of that trip: Aug 2016 KK Trip

As for this trip, the boys and I actually moved our date up so we're leaving a bit earlier than scheduled. And we are leaving Daddy behind as he has to work.  Poor Daddy! We are going to miss you on this trip!!
Well, the thing daddy only just mentioned is that we have been upgraded to Business Class. Woohoo!!
These boys are so spoiled!  Yup, making our way to the Business Class Lounge.  It's a good thing we don't need showers yet, but it's available here!
Checking out the food and drinks:
We decided on a seated breakfast with full-on waitering service:
Not too shabby!
I thought I only asked for 2 plates of dessert, but looks like I'm getting one too.  And I'm guessing I'm not watching calories during this trip.  Ha ha!
Quick look at the bathroom alleyway - I love the mood lighting and the "stars" on the ceiling:
Ok, time to board soon.  Charlie is stylin' my scarf and learning how to blow bubbles:
Graham and Charlie are SO excited about these huge seats!  
It's so funny how the boys don't remember traveling in Business class when we lived in Abu Dhabi. That was a great perk when Bobby worked with Etihad Airways.  Yup, slippers included!
And "welcome drink" :-)
It was so funny when Graham discovered that all the drinks and food are free onboard.  Ha ha! Unlike the domestic flights that we take within the US when we have to pay for everything.  Wish I had a photo of his face when we realized that. LOL!!

Okay, Chicago to Haneda, Japan - almost 12 hours!
Looks like we are getting our first meal:
OMG, quite the appetizer platter:
We pre-ordered the kids meal for the boys:
Look how cute their appetizer is!  It's too bad neither one of them ate it.  That tuna spread/face was actually quite yummy:
So okay, we are pretty spoiled :-D
Looks like lunch is spaghetti and meatballs:
These blankets are quite comfy :-)
I'm not sure what this was about with Graham.  Ha ha!!
Looks like it's noodle/ramen time for Charlie.  We can order it any time during the flight:
Of course, I had to have a bowl too ;-)
And here's Graham's message to me from his seat - "how do i order food".  This kid is too funny:
Graham did end up ordering some curry beef and rice - another meal that you can order anytime during the flight.  That was yummy too.

Halfway!
This night lite on the desk is quite cool:
One more meal for Momma before landing:
Charlie has woken up and is on his phone, while Graham is still sleeping.  Both looking pretty comfy for sure:
Arrived!!
We never did take a photo with our plane so while looking for the lounge, we found a random ANA airplane :-)
More snacks at the ANA Lounge:
And of course, time to play some more on their phones:
We definitely got our steps in, walking back and forth from the lounge.  It was a tunnel under the runway, pretty neat!
Beautiful Kimono in the gift shops.  I'm surprised we didn't buy anything while at the Haneda airport:
Back on the airplane - Graham and Charlie already know the routine - welcome drink, slippers, blankets...
Haneda, Japan to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - about 6.5 hours:
I decided to go with the Japanese entrée this time.  Hmmm, I'm not sure if I will do it again. It was definitely "interesting" to say the least:
I can't remember if I slept during this flight. I do remember watching a lot of movies that I've missed in the movie theatres :-)

Once we have arrived in Malaysia, it's time to take the bus to the terminal:
It didn't take long to clear customs and immigration, thankfully.  And it's the middle of the night when we arrived and boys are still hungry!  So we stopped to eat some sort of fast food chicken nuggets within the airport terminal:
It was actually pretty yummy!
"Borrowing" these massage chairs while waiting for Mommy to use the loo:
There's hardly anyone here!
It is about midnight or so, if I'm not mistaken.  I was going to get one of those capsule hotel rooms but I didn't think I could manage in such a small space - being claustrophobic and all.  At first we decided that maybe, just maybe we could spend the next 10 hours year on this airport bench:
But after about 30 minutes... nope, we are checking into the transit hotel!
We definitely should have done this sooner rather than later!
After about 6 or 7 hours of some good rest, it's time for breakfast.  And what a buffet it was:
Yummm, straight to the local stuff - nasi lemak:
Kaya toast - that's thick Texas-like bread with a sweet coconut jam:
And yummy teh tarik - I'm super loving this right now!  Aaaah, so good to be home in Malaysia:
I love how Charlie is trying out new things:
Yummy porridge with salted egg for Mommy and all the different fruits as well:
This was a fruit that I've never seen before.  It's called Salak:
The outer skin is almost like snake scales.  And we're not very sure what it was suppose to taste like - but it definitely did not taste very good. We're guessing maybe it wasn't quite ripe??
Graham had mostly croissants and lots of toast with strawberry jam.  He really loved the little jam jars!
Here's the salad bar - not a lot of visitors at this station, but it sure looked fresh!
Back into the room for a little bit before having to get on another airplane.  Charlie is busy playing a video game on the TV, trying to beat the high score:
Alright, back into the terminal for one last flight:
But first, maaaaaybe some shopping??!
The boys did say that Daddy owed me a watch as I had returned the one that was given to me during my birthday this past June.  He he! ;-P

We decided to mask up on this flight.  2.5 hours from Kuala Lumpur to my hometown of Kota Kinabalu:
And it is hot in the airplane!  Good thing I brought along a fan:
Almost home!
Oh my goodness, could not recognize some of these building on descend.  Looks like the old police station got a new building!
We are staying with my brother for a few days.  Doesn't take long for Charlie to get the chore of feeding uncle Kelvin's fishes:
There's actually a good size Arowana fish in this bigger tank. I'll have to share the photo of it once I find it:
It seems like a tradition now as we almost always just go to my aunt's dumpling shop for dinner on our first night:
And of course, Graham and Charlie orders Milo Dinosaur for their drinks. It's the only thing Graham remembers from his last trip.  Ha ha!  Milo is like a cocoa mix and it's called a dinosaur because you get a couple extra scoops of just the powder plopped directly on the very top of the ice/drink.  Talk about a sugar overload!

Mmmmm, yummy dumplings for dinner - boiled and fried: 
Looks like we lost Graham at the dinner table.  I guess he didn't nap during that layover in the hotel room in Kuala Lumpur:
We get everyone home and ahhhh, my first cup of Nestum after 7 years.  Love this stuff! It's sort of like a milky oats drink:
Definitely feels good to be home.  And speaking of home, it's been exactly one year since we moved into our home in Illinois!
Amazing how quickly time flies. We love our new home!

And gosh, so glad all that flight time is done too. 2 days of travel and so thankful for that seat upgrade.  Thank you, Daddy!!  And so happy that both boys behaved very well too with very little to no drama.  Looking forward to catching up with friends and family, but mostly to see my dad who has been in the hospital for the last few weeks now. 

No comments: