Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Doug's visit

Two weekends ago, we had our 2nd visitor to our home (Grandma and Pop-pop being our first last year).  Well, technically Bobby's brother had some work in downtown Chicago and decided to swing by our place for the weekend.  It definitely made me organize the house a bit, but it was mostly pushing the boxes as close as possible to the edge of a couple of walls in the basement. LOL!  

If anything we did get the guest room in the basement fixed up. I had a mural that I was going to use for our bathroom back in the CA house.  I didn't end up using it as I was running out of time to set the house up for Open House.  And so I actually decided to return the mural to Amazon, which I did - but the supplier said I could keep the mural even after giving me the full refund. Weird! But I wasn't complaining :-)

So here goes! This is what it looks like:
Well, the mural wasn't wide enough for this room so I thought I'd change it up a bit. And instead of hanging the 6 pieces vertically, I decided to hang them horizontally. And oh boy, that might have been a mistake because it was rather tricky! Totally makes sense now why letting gravity help you in a thing. Ha ha!

Here's the before:
Bobby actually uses this room as his office, so looks like he is going to have to endure my presence for a bit. Although he seems to be giving me his thoughts on a few things.  Hmm, maybe I should make him leave the room instead :-P
Ok, 4 sheets done! 
And oops!! The last 2 sheets are too short for the bottom wall.  What on earth happened?!  Looks like I messed up with my calculations.  And I actually took a long time too with all those numbers and still managed to mess up. Sheesh! Some college graduate I am. LOL!!
Well, if I can't wallpaper the bottom then I guess it will just have to go on the top.  I even did that little awkward corner on that top right corner.  Looks decent! Almost feels like a Hampton Inn now, as those are the ones we normally stay at. Too funny ;-)
There were quite a few creases here and there but as Charlie would say,... "That's ok!" :-)

Ta da!!!
The room is rather small but I think it will quite cozy.  I hung up a baby TV to the right side, facing the bed and finally had a chance to hang up our airplane bookshelf too. I think it looks great in here!
The only thing with this room is that it doesn't have a closet. I still don't know how they passed it as a bedroom to begin with when we were purchasing this home last year.  Hmmm...

Anyway, so glad the bedroom is set up.  And then, I also hung up all of our snowboards.  It's like an art installation, sort of :-D
Don't mind the golf bag, I've been trying to practice my putting a bit on the golf mat downstairs.  Here are Bobby's skis and poles and helmet - all up on the wall too. It's like a sporting goods store down here. Ha ha!
I did save the boys' airplane height chart. Looks like we missed putting Charlie's stats last year. Guess we'll just have to make it up.  Oops!
Okay, now we are ready for uncle Doug's visit!  Graham and Charlie was so excited to see him again.  We cooked up some steaks and ate on our round table on the patio. It's our first time doing that and it was quite pleasant!
And then, Charlie was excited to show uncle Doug his fishing spots.  Fish on! Fish on!!!
Brothers reunited!  It's been a while since they've seen each other:
Okay, moving on to the next fishing spot.  Uncle Doug is helping Charlie with his knots:
And also helping Charlie with his tangled reel.  Ha!
The next morning, it's time for crepes!  The boys finally made their first batch of crepes in this (new) house:
They really do such a good job.  Super yummy!!!
Still need to work on cleaning up.  One step at a time, I guess:
There was some game time too in between:
And then, it was finally time to watch Graham in action at the school's play.  Well, technically, he is in the background doing Tech Crew work.  He decided to be part of the Running Crew this time compared to being in Sound during the last play.  

I love how the school posted everyone's photo by the front door. Here's our boy!
Okay, we are all ready for the show:
I just realized that once the lights go out is actually the time that Graham will be running onto the stage and moving stuff around. And of course, he is wearing black clothing from top to bottom so we can't even see him! But he did mention that he was moving some beds around and I guess these would have been them:
Here's some of the props in the background that we helped put together. So proud of our team :-)
Amazing show! Olaf was probably my favorite :-)  As as usual, just like in the movie, both Bobby and I were in tears.  LOL!
Yay that uncle Doug could come out and watch it with us:
And now, it's time to tear everything down. Until next year and by then, Charlie will be in middle school too!  I have a feeling he will want to be on stage singing and dancing :-D
The next day, we decided to take the train into the city to meet up with uncle Doug.  Can't pass up a free dinner, even on a school night. Ha ha!  Looks like Graham and Charlie are trained on traveling in trains:
We are such tourist - family we-fie with the Sears Tower :-)
Okay, it's a 15 minute walk to the restaurant.  Thankfully it's not too cold. I don't like walking on these drawbridges but thankfully this one wasn't too scary:
Hello again, uncle Doug!
What an awesome meal - yummy in my tummy!
Graham LOVES his steaks! Especially when it comes with a extra large steak knife.  Ha ha!
Cool looking building/theatre right across the street from the restaurant:
Made it back to the train station with plenty of time to spare:
It was a rather late night for a school night, but all worth it :-)
So glad Doug was able to visit us! Always nice to have family around. I'm so glad we are closer to everyone now compared to being all the way out west in CA - although I do miss the beach!!

The house, unfortunately has gotten messy again. And looks like those boxes will have to wait as well since I'm back to practicing. Well, sort of. The weather has turned cold again this week! So maybe I should unpack a few more boxes and organize a bit more.  Oh, I did finally get our black-out drapes hung in our master bedroom.  Photos to follow soon!

No comments: