Tuesday, January 18, 2022

More kefir

Looks like making kefir is an entire new learning process for me.  I've discovered that the kefir grains that were given to me by a friend in December were dehydrated ones.  It came in a crystal like form and had to be "rehydrated" with milk in multiple feeding sessions.  Unfortunately, those grains kept going through the sifter that I had attached to the jar.  Come to think of it, we probably drank most of the grains!  Thankfully it doesn't hurt us.  Ha ha... phew!  Eventually, I didn't think I had enough so I washed out the entire jar. But now that I've learned more about kefir grains, I could have actually kept feeding whatever little grains I had with milk and it could still have continued to multiply.  Lesson learned!  Anyway... I decide to order some new grains.  And these are already hydrated:

And oh, there's water kefir grains and milk kefir grains.  I've never used the water ones, but these milk ones look a bit like cottage cheese. I'm just glad they won't go through my sifter like the previous ones as they are definitely more chunky:
Bobby bought some humongous strawberries!
I actually had to throw away the first batch of fermented milk (still not sure why but it was suggested to do so).  But this new batch is delish!
We basically feed "Keefey" every day - normally later in the afternoon when Graham comes home from school  That's when he makes his kefir.  And then once fed, Keefey goes back into the kitchen cabinet for 24hrs.  It really does feel a bit strange but the milk - when especially blended with fruits, has such good flavor.  Almost like a thick smoothie.  And as little that Graham eats, this is a really good thing for him to be drinking it.  Graham may have to pack Keefey when he goes to college. LOL!! :-D

No comments: