Saturday, January 29, 2022

Getting ready for Chinese New Year

The tradition for every Chinese New Year is to have a nice clean home before the New Year.  I wonder who on earth started that because I do not like it!  It's such a chore but then again I suppose having to clean some of these hard to reach spots once a year probably isn't such a bad idea. LOL!!  

Charlie was busy out at the archery range today so Graham helped out some at home.  I probably should wash those pillow covers but vacuuming them for now will do:
We ended up going to Chinatown in downtown L.A. last week as well, as I wanted to buy a new outfit.  It's a good thing my Cantonese is still somewhat understandable and I was also still able to use my bargaining skill.  Graham and Charlie had a fun time listening and watching their mommy in action :-)

Since it's the Year of the Tiger - it will be Graham's year!  Can't believe he will be turning 12 years old this year.  We bought a couple of little Tiger trinkets for him:
Charlie will just have to wait a couple more years for the Year of the Dragon.  And actually, that's also my year. This is probably why we argue so much at times - he's a Water Dragon and I'm a Fire Dragon. Total opposites!

This year, I decided to buy some new Chinese New Year decor.  Some (faux) red blossoms for good luck:
And some Lucky Bamboo for even more luck!!!
I think most of the cleaning is done for now.  Just some organization around the house and hopefully we'll make some pineapple tarts too tomorrow.  Yuummmm, I love those and so do the boys!  Graham has already agreed to help me.  Hopefully he keeps his word because making these little tarts are pretty tedious!

Chinese New Year is on February 1st, which will be this Tuesday.  I'll also have to get my act together to get the dumplings ready for Tuesday night's dinner too.  I was originally planning on making our own dumpling skin but probably best now to just defrost the pre-made ones from the freezer.  Charlie loves to help me wrap those dumplings so I know I can count on him. It's been such a tiring week this past week as Bobby was away for a convention in Las Vegas.  The driving for drop-off and pick-off was really tiring.  Phew!! But looking forward to continuing some of my Chinese culture in this family :-)

No comments: