Saturday, December 7, 2019

More prep for the rain

We've had a few days of rain these past couple of weeks.  It's been tricky with the overflow on the rain barrels and the boys and I have been excited to see how our drain in the front has been working!

Yes, this overflow is a problem!
Graham is so excited about his new umbrella but somehow, we couldn't find it today.  It's only been 2 weeks!
I've had to constantly undo the hose that is connected to the overflow of the rain barrel. For whatever reason, the overflow water is not draining out properly from the rain barrel.  But once I do get that water draining properly, the purpose of the drain is accomplished!  See how the blue rubber ducky is floating down-stream? Yay!!!! :-)
Although it is not reaching the other end of the drain where the hose is - which I strategically placed for the overflow of the drain.  Strategic being key, but perhaps it is not even necessary!
Which is great because the overflow is just going to add on to what is going down the street!  It's amazing how fast the water is flowing down the hill/side of the street.  It goes down so fast that it pushes our trash bins down the street during Trash Day! Funny but maybe not so when the trash bins hit our neighbor's truck that is park along side the street.  Oops!
Well, I bought a fancy diverter to control the overflow for the rain barrel in the backyard.  It was a bit tricky trying to figure out how high/low to set it so I used what I had that was available.  Not very practical with 2 boys running around in the backyard.  Ha ha!  But it works for now:
After another trip to an improvement store... ta da!!!
Look!  Our own little water feature.  LOL!!!  Okay, still work in progress.  I do actually need to move the rain barrel but the barrel is too heavy right now and at least I know it won't tip over again.  For now, that is.  The spout is a bit leaky after it fell right on it, but I can't fix it until the barrel is empty.  Would hate to waste all that water (again!):
Here's what one of the days looked like on the way to school this past week.  Where is my sunny California??!
Here's another day during pick-up.  Such angry clouds above the blue sky!!!
Mostly sunny and mid 60F next week.  Hopefully things will dry up and I can work on all those things that I was suppose to work on before the rain. :-P  Oh, actually probably need to sew up the trampoline safety net first.  We are having a playdate next weekend!

No comments: